Author Topic: Comparison of accuracy with and without ejector pressure.  (Read 794 times)

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Comparison of accuracy with and without ejector pressure.
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:50:41 AM »
Has any one ever compared accuracy with and without the spring pressure of the ejector?
I much prefer opening and closing the rifle without an ejector. I am about to remove the ejector from my BC.
EDG

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: Comparison of accuracy with and without ejector pressure.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:53:25 AM »
If the case is fire firmed to that chamber. I dont see how it could make a difference? That opinion is coming from a new reloader, so I may be way off.  Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »
Ireload2.

When I set my die with the variours shell holders I size the case to zero headspace. The case is then butted up to the shoulder in the chamber, and
the case has no way to go forward.

If there is play or sponginess then good ignition is doubtful, and if the spring
loaded ejector is holding the case out the same is applicable.

Alas this can only take place if you have a gap were the ejector can push the case back against the standing breechand away from the chamber shoulder.

This is why I work on Handi's to eliminate this gap and fit the barrel tight to the standing breech, no gap, zero gap is the best condition.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Ireload2

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:48:22 PM »
Fred
Thanks, I size per your method with anything that has a shoulder for (about) .001 clearance using the Stoney Point gauge. With the rimmed straight cased rounds about the only thing that could be done similar is seating the bullet against the rifling. I doubt many folks do that.  I was just curious since I have a .38-55 with the extractor which produces no pressure and a .45-70 which has an ejector and has a strong spring pushing against the standing breech.  Benchresters sometimes comment on the Remington 700 plunger ejector and the possibility that it affects accuracy too.

EDG.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »
EDG.
I don't see any reason why you could not seat a bullet in the 38-55 against
the lands or even 10thou into the lands. Because nobody does it means nothing. But a long throat Handi could prevent it.

I load all my bullets into the lands 10-15 thou werre I can, but you have to make a slight minus powder adjustment.

I have a #3 Ruger in 375Win which is about the same as the 38-55. The rifle shoots bug hole groups with 200 gr factory ammo at 50 yrds. Fired another group at 250 yards 3 shots into 1-3/4" and about 8" low. This is a great little rifle. The H4198 is a bit too slow in the Ruger at 52.6kpsi the cartridge is
rated at 63.8 kpsi.

I made up some 225gr Hornady and they don't shoot worth a hoot. I only tested the one load once with 39.0gr H4198 seat .200, Max OAL3.022" and
gave up. Well these are the only 375 bullets I have. And for all the shooting I do with this rifle I just buy anopther box of factory. Lasy year we perforated a big 45gal steel drum filled with burned garbage
the 200gr bullet went clean through it at about 30-40 yards.

Went out hunting with the rifle and fired one shot and killed a deer at
75 yards last year., no contest with the 200gr factory load.

Some day I may get ambitious and develop a load with the 225 Hornady.
A case full of H4227 at 61.2kpsi is perhaps a better load but it will kick at
2421 ft. Alas I don't have that kind of powder since it is no good for any other cartrige I load for.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Ireload2

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:07:30 AM »
Hello Fred,
I have been loading my .38-55 with a plain base cast bullet (no one makes jacketed at .380 that I know of) seated into the lands. Accuracy has not been great but I have only had it to the range twice. I am using pretty light loads at around 1200 FPS with 4759, 4227, 4198 and Unique. I will probably acquire a .380 gas check mould to improve the accuracy if I can't get the plain base bullets to work.
It is a sad coincidence that I just inherited a Ruger #3 in .375 from a friend that died young (45). I have not even taken it to the range yet. He used max load of Reloader 7. I will probably just use 4198. I have both 220grn Hornadys, 200grn Sierras and some of the 235 grain Speers. I am really interested 1200 FPS cast loads since I don't hunt anymore and the range only goes out to 200 yards.  I am curious to try the faster twist of the .375 with cast bullets.
I also have a .375 Marlin but the Micro-Groove bore is still too rough for cast bullets. I think it needs another 100 to 150 rounds of jacketed bullets to get it smoothed up. It does not shoot jacketed very well but then I have never had a scope on it either.
The 45-70 H&R BC has the ejector but I am going to remove it the weekend and shoot it with cast bullets seated against the lands just to see what happens. It has never been to the range either.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 11:27:52 AM »
Hi EDG.

Reloder#7 is a great powder for the 375Win. 100% load density about 40.0gr
with a 100% powder burn @61.7kpsi and 2467 ft/mv with 225gr Hornady. That is one wicket load in a 22" barrel, right up there with a 220gr 30-06 .

One thing about the #3 you don't need to worry about pressure, this gun has a strong action and lock up. Mine has increadable accuracy and power.

Have you seen my rifle? I send you a PM with one.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Ireload2

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 01:41:50 PM »
Hi Fred,
I think I have seen your rifle on another site. The modified lever gives it away. I would sure like to know more about the rear mount base that projects back over the receiver. That makes for much better ring position. My rifle is unmodified except for the addition of standard Weaver bases.
I also have it's twin in 45-70.

Ed

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
Ed, get a hold of Stone Fence over at the Marlin Owners board. He makes a .379 jacketed with a great reputation and I think he makes a .380 also.

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/index.php

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:37:44 PM »
Here's a thread with a post by Stone Fence so you can pm him.

Tim

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=40315&sid=6e9f44bbb738fe8569cf3889545709ad
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ireload2

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 07:12:37 AM »
Joe and Tim,
Thanks for the lead on the lead. I will sign up at Marlin and contact Stonefence.
I was already wondering if I could use 9X19 brass for jackets and swage them to .380.