Author Topic: assistance needed 1858 --- 4" low and 4" left  (Read 559 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
assistance needed 1858 --- 4" low and 4" left
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:56:09 AM »
I bought a Pietta 1858 last week and tried it out yesterday.
The 777 powder was very clean and I never did have to swab out the barrel.
Trigger pull is around 12 pounds. I was shooting off a rest and the gun was shaking like crazy with me trying to pull the trigger. Despite this, I was able to shoot 4" groups at 25 yards with the right powder charge.

However, I have a small problem.
4 inches low
4 inches left

Point of impact remains the same with 25, 30, and 35 grains of powder (although the groups are smallest with 25. but the same location).

Elevation I'm really not concerned about. Windage - I would like to try to cut that in half at least. I'm shooting wonderwads and 451 hornadys. I was on the way home and realized that I didn't try without the wonderwads.

What have you guys done in the past (or what might work) to get the point of impact closer to the point of aim without monkeying with the sights yet?

Some ideas
451's without wad
454 with wad
454 without wad

I may try pyrodex P or pyrodex FF but I don't know if that will change anything as much as the other ideas.

What do you guys think (besides you should of got the one with adjustable sights)

I'm going to get out sat or sun and try it again.

thanks in advance for any help

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
Re: assistance needed 1858 --- 4" low and 4" left
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:18:58 PM »
First of all you need to get the trigger pull down to something reasonable. No way to shoot POA with 12 pounds of trigger pull - 4" groups or not. I suggest you take that thing apart and clean and polish all the contact points, especially the sear.

Was the gun new when you bought it? If so, did you do a thorough cleaning internally and remove all (that's ALL) the grease and oil in the action parts? Actually, should do that anyway, new or not.

Second, what's wrong with adjusting the sights? But ok, you want to do that last. In my experience shooting with/without Wonder Wads will have no effect on the gun shooting left/right of POA. Changing ball caliber is also unlikely to have much effect, although it's not unheard of. I'd go up to .454 with wads first. Then if you still feel wads have an effect, try a few without wads.

Finally, adjust the sights.

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »
I had a sight similar to the Bisley Target made for mine.  I think the recommended fix is to get a Uberti 1858 front sight from VTI gunparts.  It is a dovetail style, so after it is installed you will be good to go.  A heavier projectile will lift the point of impact.  You might try a LEE cap'n ball bullet or a Big Lube.

As it is, low is good, as a bit of careful filing will bring it up.  My back sight slot is quite narrow.  A needle file on the right side MIGHT work, but the metal is hard.

Offline curtism1234

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 04:40:17 AM »
Yeah it was new and I took it all apart before shooting.
There's nothing wrong with adjsuting the sights (probably would go with a drift adjustable front sight). Obvouisly I want to see if I can get settled on something and maybe I won't have to.

I was hoping different balls and wads might bring the groups over, but it doesn't sound like it.

I'll have to see...thanks