Author Topic: Newbie - Which powder to use  (Read 961 times)

Offline ncc1701a

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie - Which powder to use
« on: October 03, 2007, 06:04:11 AM »
I will be getting a 1858 Army Stainless Steel .44 Caliber Target Revolver. Can anyone give me some options on powder type and manufactures to use?  There is a Gander Mountian close to me to get supplies at.  Would any of the powders they carry be a good option?

Thanks

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
Re: Newbie - Which powder to use
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:26:16 AM »
There are three types of powder available, and within each type there are choices of manufacturers.

The types are:
1) Real black powder
2) Synthetic or substitute black powder
3) Smokeless powder

Rule Number One, which is NEVER to be violated under ANY circumstances, is to NEVER, EVER use smokeless powder in a black powder gun. It is simply a bomb.

Now that we've covered that point, be aware that it is the only point on which practitioners of this sport all agree. You need to decide for yourself whether you will be in the camp that accepts and uses synthetic black powder or the camp that feels anything other than real black powder is a crime against nature.

Real black powder is made by Goex and Swiss; either is high quality and will produce very similar results. It's unlikely you could tell the difference.

Synthetic black powders are Pyrodex and 777, both made by Hodgdon, Pinnacle made by Goex, and American Pioneer, made by American Pioneer. The only comment I have about these choices is that 777 is approximately 10 to 15 percent faster burning, and as a result loads using 777 should be reduced by 10 to 15% from loads developed for real black powder or one of the other substitutes. Pyrodex and 777 come in both loose powder and compressed pellet versions. Loose Pyrodex is the most popular amongst the synthetics, with 777 second.

All of the above come in the traditional FFg and FFFg granulations; real black powder is also available in Fg and FFFFg granulation. In general FFg is for rifles and shotguns, FFFg is for pistols and revolvers and FFFFg is for priming flintlock pans. Fg is for cannons. Pyrodex uses P for pistols and R&S for rifles and shotguns. You will use either FFFg or Pyrodex P in your revolver. You can use FFG or Pyrodex R&S without damaging your gun but velocities and accuracies will suffer a bit.

I don't know what brands Gander Mountain carries, but they should have at least one of the above. It is unlikely they carry real black powder, as it is classified as an explosive by BATFE, and as such carries restrictions that insurance companies look upon with glee. Retailers must store it under lock and key in magazines, so you won't see it on the shelf like the synthetics. It can still be found in some small, local gun shops but the box stores are pretty much through with it. They tend to carry synthetic black instead, and display it on their shelves. If you want to shoot real black and can't find it in a store nearby your only option is to buy it on the internet.

Offline ncc1701a

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:32:03 AM »
O.k. I now have american pioneer powder.  When I started to read the directions that came with the pistol the Pietta manual calls out 12-15 grains per shot, and the Cabela's instruction book calls out a 35 grain capacity.  I e-mailed Cabela's and got 2 different answers from 2 different people.  What is a safe load for this pistol?

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:48:48 AM »
With regard to safety you cannot overload a black powder revolver (as long as you are not using smokeless powder!). The chambers will not hold enough powder to make the load unsafe.

That being said, you want a load that is accurate, and the type, amount and method of loading the powder as well as the projectile all can affect accuracy. Unfortunately, there is no single magic number.

15 gr of American Pioneer is a good minimum load. 30 gr would be a "heavy" load. 35 grains is probably all the chamber will hold with a ball.

What you need to do is what we call "working up a load" for your particular gun. But do that later. Right now I imagine you just want to get out and shoot it. So, load it with a nice compromise: let's say about 25 gr. Use a lubed felt wad between the powder and ball (not mandatory but recommended). Seat the ball firmly to compress the powder and insure that there is no air gap between the powder and the ball (an air gap there is a very bad thing).

You can vary the load from 15 to 30 grains at will just to see what it looks and feels like. When you've done that come back here and we'll give you some guidance on how to work up the most accurate load. Or you can just watch the forums and see what others are using (which won't necessarily be right for your particular gun, but it's kinda fun).

Offline Flint

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
If you're using APP, use 3fg for the Remington.  The APP 2fg is about the same grade as gravel, and works better in rifles and shotguns.

25 to 30 grains by volume is a pretty good load.  If you use a powder flask, do not leave APP in it for storage, as it will clump up and you'll never get it back out.  Better to use a Lee dipper and/or a black powder measure/funnel and scoop from the plastic bottle.  An empty cartridge case that holds your desired volume of powder is a good tool for dipping, as an empty 38 or 357 case might hold what you want if filled to the brim.  Scoop it and load your cylinder.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline ncc1701a

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:41:25 AM »
O.k I'm back.  Finally got to the range & the 8" barrel .44 cal 1858 remmie seems to like 25 grains of APP, hits where I aim it.  Now I have a new question.  I have a 5.5"  barrel .44 cal 1858 remmie that shoots way low about 5" at 15-20 yards from point of aim, the 5.5" has fixed sights.   I was using the same load 25g of APP.  How to correct this? 

Thanks