Author Topic: What is the correct way to make a mock scrape?  (Read 701 times)

Offline gt2003

• Trade Count: (0)
What is the correct way to make a mock scrape?
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:29:18 PM »
I've wanted to try this for a few years but don't really know the proper procedure.  Could someone outline it for me or post a link showing how?  Thanks, Greg

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: What is the correct way to make a mock scrape?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »
The best way is to hire a whitetail buck to do it for you.  :o ;D ???

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:26:31 AM »
I use a strong stick to scrape away debris from under a licking branch--be sure to watch that you don't contaminate your area with your scent: scent-free rubber boots, rubber gloves, and just watch touching anything around you.  Scrape to the earth and make the scrape in one direction.  When it looks to be about two feet or so across, I then dig a hole a couple of inches deep in the center, place a little wax paper and on the paper daub James Valley Wall Hanger gel.  I cover  with some earth, drop more on the scrape, then daub more on the overhead branch.  I usually make three or four in a line along trails. 

I've heard folks belittle making mock scrapes, and maybe it has only been a fluke, but within a short time, I've had them taken over by bucks.  Over the years, I have killed three decent bucks over mock scrapes...but, again, that may have been a fluke.

Best of luck, Arch

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:41:13 AM »
What time of year do you start making them? Obviously pre-rut, but we start bow hunting next week (late Sep.) is this too early?

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 05:57:49 AM »
I'm in southern MI, and there are scrapes all over the place on the farm I hunt.  Granted, some of them are not done with much gusto just yet, but there are lots of them right now.

I make them from now through October depending on what I see in the woods. 

As stupid as this might sound, I use an old wood rasp during October and mark saplings along trails I want to hunt to even make mock rubs. 

I might just be lucky, but I've been able to guide deer--not all, and I realize that--to trails where I can get a good tree stand location by using mock scrapes and rubs. 

Once on a farm I hunted in Branch County, MI, I was able to bring the deer across a drainage ditch from a farm I didn't have permission to hunt--they just switched sides of the ditch with a little encouragement.  Any, yes, I shot an old buck from that trail--he had fought himself from an 8 pointer to a messed up 6 pointer, but he thought he was a lover.

Best of luck, Arch

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 06:26:32 AM »
wildlife research has a hanging bag/bottle with a loop on it that works great ! they have a bottle of liquid scrap to go in it also !
just hang it in a tree and see where it drips and clear out about a 12 circle under it ! the sun makes it drip each day !
the hard part is putting it in the right place ! i like to hang 2-3 coming off another bucks scrape line they seldom just have one scrape , to my stand !
make sure to hang bottle higher than buck can get to ! it takes a few days to get it up and smelling right so i put it up a week or two early and don't go back until i hunt !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
   Shootall;
      I just picked up a copy of Fur-Fish-Game magazine (Oct 2007). It has a lead article (pg 38)

entitled... "mock scrapes that fool even trophy whitetail bucks".               Hope it helps !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 01:21:09 AM »
some one else started the subject , i set up what i described in my back yard for fun each season , i would rather set over a clover plot ! of which we have a few , but to be honest for the past couple years and most likely for a few more we are covered up with deer ! a flood of subdivisions are pushing deer my way , its nothing to see 16-20 in my driveway any time of day or night ! a couple weeks ago we saw 5 bucks togather , one got hit by a truck last fall just before the season that would most likely placed in the top five deer killed in Va. . I know it won't last but we have a good thing going now ! by the way lots of deer do come to the scrape most at night or very early morning .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 02:00:50 AM »
IT DON'T WORK JUST GET ON A GOOD RUNWAY .

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »
Maybe not, but three of mine are working just fine, thank you.  Bucks have taken them over big time. I will be bow hunting over them this weekend.

Best of luck to all, Arch