Author Topic: 357 Harret from a 357mag barrel?  (Read 787 times)

Offline Joel45acp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
357 Harret from a 357mag barrel?
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:16:15 AM »
Have any of you guys made a 357 Harret from a 357mag barrel?  I was just thinking if it be worth the investment.  Thanks for any input.  Later. ;D
In Christ,

Joel C.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 357 Harret from a 357mag barrel?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:21:29 AM »
I haven't, but I had my Maxi barrel rechambered to 35 Remington as it's a better choice in a rifle barrel, but different strokes.  ;)

Tim

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w357herr.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »
I sure do wish someone would do this rechamber to the 357 Herret.My contender in 357 Herret is one accurate son of a gun,and packs a wallop. From what I've read about the Herret,its the most accurate of all the 35 calibers,and about equal to the 35 Rem. in velocity and power.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:08:22 PM »
Maybe in a handgun, but not in a rifle configuration.... ;) And considering the case forming requirements for the Herret, 35 Rem brass is readily available. Add the Layne Simpson Super 35 loads into the equation and the 35 Rem looks even better. ;D

Tim

The 357 Herrett is another example of a wildcat cartridge developed for a specific firearm and purpose where there is a gap in the commercial line of ammunition. It was intended primarily as a hunting cartridge for the heavier varieties of medium game, however it has also become quite popular among silhouette shooters. It serves both purposes well, but one must bear in mind that as a hunting cartridge, it delivers ballistics inferior to the 35 Remington fired from a rifle. While it is perfectly capable of handling large animals under average conditions, much depends on the skill of the user, something that is true of all handguns and handgun cartridges when used for hunting. The 357 Herrett is, nevertheless, one of the best of the handgun cartridges for field use on medium or small game and varmints. But all hunting success relies upon either skill or luck.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w357herr.html

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »
The 357 Herrett is possible. However; as Tim has pointed out it is a pain to make cases for. This is out of the Hornady 6th edition - "Sizing is a critical step in properly forming 357 Herrett cases. If the case is insufficiently sized and closing is difficult, accuracy will suffer and pressure signs will appear prematurely. If the case is sized too much, excessive head space creates misfires and unnecessary case stretch, which diminishes case life." Your dies have to be set just right + the pain of lubing just right to prevent dents, trimming, and then fire forming. Gray Beard has stated in another section before that he has had both the 30 and 35 Herrett and he would not do them again because of the PITA case forming. I do not know if you have ever formed cases from other types, I have. It is a slow process and you will loose some cases on the journey. I have formed 375 Win to 30-30 and 223 into 222 and 221 FB. My conclusion is that if I do not have to form cases, don't. If you do not mind all of the above and watch your P's and Q's then 357 Herrett may be for you. My 2 cents -the way to go is 357 Max or 35 Remington. Good luck to you.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:46:35 AM »
The case's are not that hard to make out of 30 30 brass.I use a cutoff saw to take most of the extra lenght off,and finish with the trimmer.I use nearly full house loads to fireform the brass,and hunt at the same time,( 1 1/2" groups fireforming the brass)
Then necksize only from there on.Mine will go through the chrono at 2350 fps.with 30grs. of H 4227 (max load with the 158 gr.XTP)
It would be a interesting caliber to play with and strive for accuracy.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:44:22 AM »
Tim, have you been shooting those super .35 Remington loads from your rechambered .357 Handi? They appear to be safe loads to shoot from a Handi to me. If you have which have you found to be the most accurate and/or which do you like the best. If you have not shot any of them what are your feelings about them. I am interested in trying some of them in my .35 Remington Handi...Thanks....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »
No, I haven't .....YET!!! I just got the magazine from Wolfe publishing, those loads are from a 1982 article by Layne Simpson, the pressures are well within the capabilities of the SB2 frame and modern brass is plenty strong enough for it, so I will be working up new loads using the RL7 or H335 data. ;) The related link below is how I learned of it.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,126370.msg1098451124.html#msg1098451124

Offline KevinG

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 05:04:30 AM »
  Hey there here's something else and your right about hard hitting , loved the cartridge too, and I'm thinking about the same conversion in my handi,not mid way usa has already made brass with 357 herret head stamping not sure on its price tag , as well as 30 herret , ive made brass out of 30-30 as well as 375 win brass the 375 win is a tad stronger, I used to fire form with 162 grain hand cast rcbs gass check and 4227 pwwder, have fun but becarefull. keving

Offline Joel45acp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 07:55:03 AM »
Thanks for all of the input guys.  I have a Handi frame thanks to a buddy who didn't want it, so he gave it to me.  I called NEF and gave them the SN and was told it was built in 1996 so the high pressure barrels were out of the question.  Would the 357 Harrett be a "high pressure" round for the frame I have?  Thanks again fellas.  Later.
In Christ,

Joel C.