Author Topic: No JOY on the buffler tag  (Read 721 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
No JOY on the buffler tag
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »
 :'( :( Got the news today I was unsuccessful on the Buffalo drawing here in Montana. I am 345 on the roster. That means if and when the buff come into Montana out of Yellowstone they will begin contacting hunters in groups of 18 to fill the available surplus tags. If you get called it's a $125 dicision and then the cost of the trip. 345 : 18 = groupe #19 to get the call if it happens. Not a very good chance that will happen. Oh well will just have to use the 45-70 on Elk or rabbits  ;) - F50

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: No JOY on the buffler tag
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:11:20 AM »
Sorry to hear that, but that's the way drawings usually work out for me, sometimes ya get lucky tho, and it makes it worth the disappointment. :'(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:12:26 AM »
Does Montana have a point preference system?  Since you didn't get picked this year that you'll have a better (even if it is slight) chance of being selected next year?  The more years you miss, the better your chances are in subsequent years.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
We have a point preference system that you pay additional $2 but not for Buff. Just elk deer and antelope.I have a mule deer doe tag for the area I'm going hunting in this next week in eastern Montana so I've designated it a "45-70 doe tag." ;D - F50

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:48:41 PM »
Thge Indians along the Liard river at Fort Liard NWT sell you a License for a Buff. They are all over the place up there. Easy to hunt.

Don't know how much they charge.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:36:40 AM »
Thanks Fred I'll look into that. There is a place in Dodge City Kansas that has a traditional buffalo hunt and you stay in a dugout cabin but I would have to visit my mother-in-law on that trip, and its around $1500 for the hunt. :-\ :-\
Thanks again - Gary

Offline MTGlass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 11:20:26 AM »
I feel your pain.  After reading your post I checked my status.  I'm 396 on the roster.

On a brighter note, my 12yr old daughter is 11 on the roster for the Jan. 01-22 season. ;D  I'm about to jump out of my skin!
Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »
Hey MTGlass - Where are you out of ? Number 11 has a great chance if the buff come out of the park in numbers. I'm on my way to Malta for a week of R&R -- 2 antelope tags, 2 mule deer doe tags, a 16 mo old lab and my sportsman tag. May need to rent a U-haul to bring em all back. Loaden up the camper tonight leavin out at 0 dawn 30 :D :D :D

Offline MTGlass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 12:48:35 PM »
I'm in & out of Helena.  Right now I'm just hoping to find her a spike or a cow in 380 Sunday.  We need to take the curse off her Handi 7mm-08!
Cordially,

MTGlass

Offline MTGlass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 07:23:58 AM »
Hey Fanner50,

You wouldn't happen to shoot CAS as Montana Justice too?  We may have met at a Cowboy Shoot along the trail sometime.

BTW, my daughter got a couple of packets in the mail from FWP Saturday.  A blood sample collection kit, and the hunter education packet with DVD, age & sex ID guide, shot placement guide, hunter test, maps, etc.

All I got was a NA na NA na from her!

Her little brother (9) is already asking if he can go buffalo hunting with us and he has loaned her his Ka-Bar hunting knife.

Have fun in Malta?
Cordially,

MTGlass