Author Topic: Taurus Tracker Ti 627  (Read 12027 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Taurus Tracker Ti 627
« on: November 18, 2003, 08:33:17 AM »

Taurus Tracker Ti 627

The Tracker series of handguns from Taurus are obviously aimed at hunters and back packers who will pack these guns with them while roaming the field and forest or fishermen when on the water. The Ti (titanium) revolvers are as light and handy for this purpose as anyone could ask of a revolver in the power range. Toting these handguns is almost like not having one it is so light and handy. I find myself carrying this one in .357 Magnum with me any time I’m afield. It is always a pleasure as it is so light as to not be noticeable in a hip holster. My only regret is that it has only a 4” rather than a 6” barrel on it. My tired old eyes sure could use the extra 2” of sight radius for more precise bullet placement. As it is tho I shoot it very well for a 4” barrel gun and am pleased with this selection.

The Tracker series is offered in a wide variety of calibers and options from the .17 HRM to the .44 Special and .45 Colt. Barrel length options are generally 2”, 4” and 6” but some versions have more or less available. Most are also available as total titanium revolvers for the very lightest weight you can pack afield.

The subject of this review is the Model 627 Ti which makes it a total titanium .357 Magnum 7 shot gun. Sights are an adjustable (windage and elevation) rear with a red ramp front. Now I’m not normally a fan of red ramp front sights but there is something about the color of this one or the angle or something. I can actually see it in use unlike those offered on S&W guns I’ve owned. Taurus also offers a sight base as an accessory for revolvers in this series but I just couldn’t bring myself to scope such a nice light weight packing gun so didn’t bother to get one. Sure it would have greatly enhanced the accuracy I was able to wring from the gun but at the sacrifice of heavier weight and less compact pack ability. I’ll take it as issued thank you.

In a 4” version as is the test gun this makes an excellent home defense or concealed carry gun for those who prefer revolvers for such duty. I personally like a revolver and really feel a bit better with one but also carry semiautos for concealed carry. This one serves double duty for me as a house protection gun and occasionally as a concealed carry gun depending on where I go. When woods roaming it is on the hip a lot.

So how well did it shoot? Well better than my tired old eyes really. I find that with most guns with barrels shorter than 6” my eyes not the gun are usually the limiting factor. I’ve proven this time and again by using other sighting methods with same loads in a gun and when using either a laser sight, red dot or scope I cut group sizes easily in half. But here are some results I obtained with a variety of factory and handloaded ammo.

For the reloads I used a variety of cases from Federal, Remington and Winchester to keep the various loads separated. I won’t specify which case was used with each but I used them interchangeably in this testing. All primers used with Winchester Small Pistol. All loads are under book max.  All groups are full cylinder or 7 shots and are an average of 3-5 groups.

Sierra 170 JHC       13.8 H2400              3.1”  @ 25 yards  @ 1092 fps
Nosler 180 Sil         11.0 H2400              3.5”  @ 25 yards  @  806  fps
Sierra 158 JHC       14.5 H2400               3.8”  @ 25 yards @  1006 fps
Hornady 158 XTP  14.5 H2400               2.0”  @ 25 yards  @ 1027 fps
Hornady 125 XTP  8.1 Bullseye              3.2”   @ 25 yards
Hornady 140 XTP  7.1 Bullseye              3.0”   @ 25 yards
Hornady 159 XTP 11.0 AA9                    3.1”  @ 25 yards

These were loaded in .38 Special cases as they were tested in .38 Special guns also. No velocity readings were recorded.

Hornady 140 Cowboy     5.0 Bullseye      3.8”  @ 25 yards
Hornady 140 XTP           5.0 Bullseye       3.5”  @ 25 yards
Hornady 125 XTP           5.8 Bullseye       3.0”  @ 25 yards
Hornady 158 XTP           5.0 Bullseye       3.2”  @ 25 yards

I also used a variety of Hornady factory .38 Special loads in this gun with the following results.

Hornady 125 XTP                                   2.8”  @ 25 yards
Hornady 140 XTP                                   2.5”  @ 25 yards
Hornady 140 Cowboy                             2.9”  @ 25 yards
Hornady 158 XTP                                   3.0”   @ 25 yards

This is by no means a full compilation of all the loads shot but is typical of the performance obtained. I don’t see that listing all data for all shot would add anything to the report except time and typing effort.

Generally speaking it is pretty well known I’m not a proponent of muzzle brakes or compensators. BUT on a revolver since you already have the cylinder/barrel gap which makes about as much noise as a brake will I just don’t find them to add any appreciable noise and so have no problem with them on revolvers. I must say the one on this test gun really makes a difference in recoil perception. Even with the 180 grain bullet loads this gun was very pleasant to shoot and I find the recoil of it less than that of a S&W K frame like the Models 19 or 66 with equal loads by a noticeable margin. Shooting a 180 grain bullet load in this gun seems to generate no more recoil than a 140 in a K-frame. To say I like this little revolver is an understatement. Me thinks I love it. The only change I’d make in it is to have the barrel be 6” rather than 4” so my tired old eyes could see the sights a wee bit better. This would make it less concealable and pack able but would reduce groups I believe. The added weight just wouldn’t be noticed. Now for another in either .45 Colt or .44 Special both of which are now available with both 4” and 6” barrels I believe. Hmm, maybe it is time for another phone call.

I use and highly recommend this revolver to the readers. Taurus guns have totally replaced S&Ws at my house since S&W signed the onerous agreement with the Clinton administration. And ya know what? I don’t miss the S&Ws at all. Heck I think the Taurus guns are fully the equal quality wise of the best S&W ever put out and they have such a variety of guns I like even better than what S&W does or has put out that I’m sold on them. Pardon me if I sound a bit like an advertisement for Taurus guns but dang it I like them. More and more of them are finding a home at my house.

Here is the product specification sheet from the Taurus website.

Model:   627SH4C
Caliber:   .357 MAG
Capacity:   7
Barrel Length:   4''
Porting:   YES
Action:   DA/SA
Finish:   SHADOW GRAY
Grips:   RIBBER
Weight:   24.3 oz
Construction:   TITANIUM
Frame:   COMPACT
Front Sight:   FIXED
Rear Sight:   ADJUSTABLE
Trigger Type:   SMOOTH
Length:   8-3/4''
Width:   1.531"
Height:   5.40"
Rate of Twist:   1:16"
Grooves:   5
Safety:   TRANSFER BAR .
UPC:   7-25327-24056-3
Order #:   2-627041SHC
MSRP:   $688.00

Visit the Taurus USA web site at: http://www.taurususa.com

Or Call Taurus at these phone numbers:

Phone:(800)327-3776
Phone:(305)624-1115
Fax:   (305) 624-1126

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline subfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Taurus Tracker Ti 627
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 01:40:13 AM »
What is the going price for one of these?  Looks like it would be a great carry gun.  Although I am sold on my RB, it gets heavy quick and really don't need it to putter in the woods.  Have not seen Bigfoot or a T-Rex yet.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Taurus Tracker Ti 627
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 04:48:31 AM »
Ya know I guess I don't know an honest answer to that question. I'm guessing in the $400-$450 range but haven't really checked lately. MSRP is something over $600 but as you know nothing much sells at MSRP. Should go for almost $200 less than whatever an RB sells for in your area based on a comparison of MSRP of them.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline t-roy

• Trade Count: (0)
Taurus Tracker Ti 627
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 06:02:06 AM »
my brother bought a new tracker .357 with a 6" barrel at a gun show, new, for $360