Author Topic: 44 Mag Range Report  (Read 624 times)

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
44 Mag Range Report
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:18:19 PM »
Well I finally bought a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 scope and mounted it to my handi with a set of Barska "high" QD airgun mounts.  I took it to the range to sight it in and the wind was gusting 20 - 30mph so I didn't shoot at 100yds but I did shoot a few groups at 50yds and every 3 shot group at 50 yds looked like the pics below.  I'm gonna head back out and see how it does at 100yds if the wind ever settles down.  I was shooting Winchester Super X factory ammo loaded with 240gr JSP and I was shooting off an MTM Predator shooting rest.

Ken

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Re: 44 Mag Range Report
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:19:20 PM »
I'd say looking good so far.  Keep up the reports.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 01:17:31 AM »
Look's like your off to good start.

Yes.  Keep us posted.  ;)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 12:18:42 PM »
Kensel That looks very encouraging to me. ;) Which variety do you have? The wood or plastic? And finally; have you done and modifications to it? O-ring, bedding stock, trigger job, etc.

I just put one on lay away today. Duck Hill had them on sale for $249. I think it is still too high, but every one that has one for sale around here is asking $300. They said it was a special run for them exclusively, but it looks like the run of the mill plastic stocked 44 Mag. to me. The serial number is HX so it is 2007 manufacture. I will be picking it up next week. I haven't decided to leave the irons on or do some thing different. I do not particularly like the high and wide front blade. Think something with fire sights maybe, or just get a scope like you did. I will be swapping out the stock for a set of laminated ones soon and sending it in for a couple of more barrels.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 12:37:07 PM »
RR sells the wood stocked model for $214, but they don't have any in stock right now, If I was ordering one, I'd get on their email notification. ;) TGS is out also.

Tim

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GSB2044

http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=64787
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
Thank you , Tim. I have been looking around including the Internet, Walmart and did not find anyone that has them in stock, with the exception of a couple of local stores that are asking $300 for the wood ones. This was the best deal I could find :-[ I guess you pay the price when you are in a hurry :) I was going to swap out the stock no matter which kind I got, I just got to have the Laminated stocks. Do you know if H&R has any 444 Marlin barrels in stock yet? I was going to call them to find out right after I picked up my gun. I was going to pick it up today, but I found out they would not sell it to me until I got my DL updated :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[. My birthday was three weeks ago.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 02:12:22 PM »
I dunno about the .444 barrels, I got mine in May, they should have some by now if they ran out, have you called em yet?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »
No I have not called them yet, I was going to wait until I got the 44 to call. I was just curious where I stood at getting one.

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 07:07:28 AM »
Laotto222, My rifle is a 25-06 Handi with the wood stock.  I sent it in to be fitted with the 44 Mag barrel and had the trigger done at the factory, other than that I sanded the inside of the forearm a little to free float the barrel and that is it.  The rifle shoots very good with most factory ammo I've put through it and I imagine it will do even better once I put together some handloads.  Maybe I'm just lucky with this one but I wouldn't hesitate to get another 44 barrel.

good luck,
Ken

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:36:27 AM »
Thank you for the reply Ken