Author Topic: Barrel change in pistols, change brand of ammo too?  (Read 386 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Barrel change in pistols, change brand of ammo too?
« on: October 28, 2007, 09:24:31 AM »
I have a RIA 1911 that had some corrosion damage from the factory when I bought it new, they test fired the gun but did not clean the barrel (possible corrosive primers).  The gun has preferences for several brands of ammo that it likes, and others that it does not like, typical situation with all guns.

I am thinking of putting in a higher quality barrel and am wondering if I have to start all over with the different brands of ammo to see what it likes.  I may just leave everything alone as the rifling is deep and sharp, only shot 350 rounds to date, just pitting in the groves, and it shoots good too.

As most modern semi-auto pistols have easily replaceable barrels, it does bring up the question of having to retry different loads, especially if a person hand-loads for their pistol.

Thanks.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Barrel change in pistols, change brand of ammo too?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:26:20 AM »
Chris:  Your new barrel may or may not like what you're shooting now but whenever I switch barrels in my 1911s the grouping stays pretty much about the same.  When some folk switch barrels they get some grouping that makes them wonder, until the barrel settles into the slide, then all is usually well. 

New barrels, mil-spec, don't cost that much, so get a couple and see if you get any better grouping.  I can understand your feelings about the pitting but if it doesn't affect your groups it may not be much more than a cosmetic problem.  I once had a P08 Luger that had a badly pitted barrel but it didn't affect its accuracy.  Just looked awful.  Mikey.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:15:37 AM »
You might find that the load your using works just fine but that doesnt mean that with the new barrel there may not be a load thats even better and it very well could be one of the old loads that didnt shoot so yes for the most part you have to start over.
I have a RIA 1911 that had some corrosion damage from the factory when I bought it new, they test fired the gun but did not clean the barrel (possible corrosive primers).  The gun has preferences for several brands of ammo that it likes, and others that it does not like, typical situation with all guns.

I am thinking of putting in a higher quality barrel and am wondering if I have to start all over with the different brands of ammo to see what it likes.  I may just leave everything alone as the rifling is deep and sharp, only shot 350 rounds to date, just pitting in the groves, and it shoots good too.

As most modern semi-auto pistols have easily replaceable barrels, it does bring up the question of having to retry different loads, especially if a person hand-loads for their pistol.

Thanks.
blue lives matter

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:03:29 AM »
I agree that the pits will not usually affect the accuracy.  I assembled a Commander many years ago with a Fed Ord aluminum frame and a Caspian slide.  I used mostly Colt SS small parts.  When it came time for a barrel, a friend offered me one for $10.  It had seen corrosive ammo and the bore looked like 9 miles of bad road although the rifling was sharp.  I was fortunate to be at a gun show where a vendor had a box of bushings and I went through every bushing in the box finding the one that felt 'just right'.  That gun was one of the best shooters I have ever owned.  I always intended to change the barrel to a 'better looking' one, but it shot so well, I never changed it.  My son now owns that gun and I have to say it still shoots wonderfully!  Shoot that gun enough to settle it in before you pitch the barrel.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 02:05:52 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  I must confess that I had the slight "urge" to start customizing my 1911, adding a new polished custom barrel, etc.  I like the look of the black outer finish.

My intentions with this gun was to get a GI pattern and use it as is as I know that I could easily put lots of goodies on it, and if I had initially intended it that way, then I would have spent the money and bought a Springfield or Para Ordinance with all the nice stuff already on it.  It just goes to show how infectious the "1911 custom bug" can take over a person's mind!