Author Topic: Buddy's Gun  (Read 1159 times)

Offline singleVI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Buddy's Gun
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:09:17 AM »
My buddys looking for a deer gun for brush/thick woods(in KS). He has a Remington 710 .270 for normal/longer ranges. He doesn't want to spend alot of money since hes in college(I assume under $300). I suggested an H&R 30-30 like mine since its inexpensive and handy(but a single-shot). I also mentioned a shotgun barrel with iron sights for slugs/buckshot since he has a 12ga 870(5 shots). I told him to look in some pawn shops for a low priced Rem 7600-7400 or Win M94. Is there anything else I could let him know about?

Offline beemanbeme

Re: Buddy's Gun
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:13:45 AM »
What's wrong with what he's got?  You're telling him to get a single shot.  A single shot from a .270 ought to do the trick if he does his part.  If he's got some realistic powered scope on it like 1.5x5 or 2x7. A 4x at most. 

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:55:59 AM »
He may want to read this article and then just save his money and stick with his .270.

http://www.huntingclub.com/Projects/Project.aspx?id=103772
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:16:13 AM »
Also, keep in mind that "brush guns" are short, handy rifles that help get you, not the bullet, through the brush. I also think that your buddy is all set with what he has. Just my 2c

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 05:44:30 AM »
Agree with KK. People keep confusing rifles/guns with cartridges. There is nothing lacking in the 270 as a cartridge but there may be in the 710 as a rifle. I like a shorter barreled rifle for heavy cover.  A short action with a max 20" barrel would suit me fine. I don't agree with short actions for lightening weight but in a heavy cover rifle they reduce length and still let you use a 20" barrel. I also like lower powered scopes on most everything. If you haven't looked thru a 2 3/4x scope in the woods at dusk, your missing something. Those also ride lower on the rifle and make it better handling in my opinion. My next choice would be a fixed 4x and then a 2-7x. A 2-7x is slightly bigger than a fixed 4x but not much. In fact the newer ones might be as small. Been awhile since I've looked at scopes. I have never seen a big game rifle that had any advantage by installing more than a 2-7x scope. In fact in the majority os situtations, a fixed 4x is a great compromise that will allow accurate shooting to 300 yds easy.

There's a reason the mod 94 was such a good brush gun and it had nothing to do with the cartridge. Overbuilding a rifle and compensating with a cartridge does not make an ideal hunting rifle.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 01:30:36 PM »
If your buddy wants a new rifle then he should go get it, if he thinks he needs a new rifle, he's wrong.  The idea of a "brush" gun drives me crazy.  I can't remember a time in my life when I've said to myself, "you know, if only I had a rifle that shoots a bullet a little slower, and has 2 inches less barrel I'd have killed that deer."  I've killed 2 deer and 2 caribou at extremely close ranges in the past few years, and I've never had any trouble with my .270, 30-06, or 300WM not working. 

Get a 3-9x scope and shoot that 270 for everything you do. 

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »
His 270 would be a fine brush gun and there would be nothing wrong with a slug barrel on that 870 with either a low powered scope, red dot or iron sights for a brush gun either. In fact with todays modern slugs an accurate slug gun is right there with 30-30 ballistics.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »
Well his 270 has a 6-18 power scope on it so its too powerful for quick shots. I let him shoot my H&R 3030 and he liked it alot so that's what hes gonna get. He'll just have to make sure he gets em with that one shot.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 01:54:13 PM »
What no one likes lever actions anymore? I take a marlin 30-30 when I hunt in wooded areas.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
$$ H&R cheaper Than 94 & 336