Author Topic: R.E.A.L. bullet in cap and balls?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
R.E.A.L. bullet in cap and balls?
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:23:25 AM »
Anyone ever try a Lee REAL bullet, 200 grains, in a .44 cap and ball revolver?  I heard it can be done, and would eliminate use of wads and/or lube over the top of the bullet/ball if the REAL bullet was pre-lubed.  What would be a good lube for this?  Traditional conicals have lube grooves. What's used for a lube there? 
Seems like pre-lubed conicals of some sort, and a pyrodex pellet, would be the absolutely quickest way to load a cap and ball.
Any ideas?

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: R.E.A.L. bullet in cap and balls?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 11:42:27 AM »
rio grande,
I've used a 200gr. or 220gr. round nosed bullet in a Ruger Old Army revolver, with results that were less than impressive. I switched back to round balls and regained good accuracy again.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 10:40:34 AM »
I had fair luck with 200 Speer 45ACP semi-wadcutter bullets (They are swaged soft lead).  They are better seated off the gun with a loading stand, as the ram is, or can be, shaped better for the bullet nose, and you don't have to mess with squeezing the bullet into the revolvers clearance cut.  You can get it seated straighter as well.

They hit the target with a lot more authority than a roundball.

Look at the website http://www.biglube.com/ under bullet extras.  Cylinder loading stand.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:35:36 PM »
Wouldn't shoot them in a Colt, you'll beat the barrel wedges and cylinder pins out.  I shoot conicals in my Remingtons but only rb's in my Colts.  A harbor freight punch set and an old felt cowboy hat makes lots of wads.  Even with round balls, my Walker cylinder developed a couple of egg shaped chambers.