Author Topic: moon phases and deer hunting  (Read 878 times)

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
moon phases and deer hunting
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:10:42 AM »
How much faith do you place in phases of the moon and hunting?
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Re: moon phases and deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »
None, When there is a lot of moonlight at night there will be less daytime deer movement. When you have dark cloudy nights there will be more daytime movement.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:43:23 AM »
Some faith, but really only bowhunting.  Gun season here in WI boils down to weather and surrounding area hunting pressure....atleast where we hunt.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:45:55 AM »
I am aware of the phases of the moon, but when I am ready to do some serious hunting it has not impact.  There are "X" number of days to hunt during the deer season and I will not pass up a hunting day because there is a full moon.  I do believe that hunting is better during the dark of the moon, along with cold weather.  This years deer came six days before the full moon.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 05:49:35 PM »
I like the charts when its suspose to be at the peak movement. Call me crazy but most of my deer have been killed in that time period and I follow them. Some days I don't and I don't see many
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 03:33:54 AM »
Definately more natural movement around a full moon.
Some seem to confuse MOONLIGHT with  FULL MOON.
I think overcast with a full moon would be perfect. 
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Hunter71

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 10:29:40 AM »
I know that I used a program that I bought ( www.outdooroutlook.com  ) to analyze over 13,000 trail camera pictures from last season to this season.  The program is really easy, (three clicks, 10 seconds and the following graph was made).  It reads the time/date, calculates the moon phase and graphs all from the picture file.  For some reason there is a peak around the last quarter.  Another graph shows me that the most daytime pictures were taken then as well.

Johnnie
My hunt club's website www.stillhuntclub.com

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »
can you give me the link to that site
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline FourBee

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 03:56:05 PM »
 :D  My mother's family was  Cherokee Indian, she believed the moon phase had a lot to do with several things, including game, and fish.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 04:28:24 PM »
Well I took a look at the Chart and Tomorrow morning is suppose to be the best time. The wind is not the way I want it but if you ain't out their then you definitely ain't seeing anything. Anyway its suppose to be 36 in the morning getting up to 68. So ill be out their all day and the wind is light and variable.

Rick