Author Topic: Browning A-5 and Brenneke slugs?  (Read 820 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Browning A-5 and Brenneke slugs?
« on: November 19, 2007, 07:59:11 AM »
Hi All,

Question for you all, after reading quite a few posts I see only one mention of the old Browning Auto Five being used a s lug gun. The questions I wish to ask is:-

"Is the Browning Auto Five suitable for use for shooting Brenneke slugs?"

I recently acquired a 1954 vintage A-5 which has a 25" barrel (have to check what choke it has as not sure yet) I brought a service kit which has been fitted so the system is up to spec so to speak and have wondered how thsi shotgun would handle adn perfom with the Brenneke slugs. Any help appreciated.

Offline Paul Mohr

Re: Browning A-5 and Brenneke slugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 05:50:15 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem. You will want an open choke though, like an Improved Cylinder or Modified choke. You can use a full without damage to the weapon but it will deform the slug pretty bad and accuracy will probably not be that great.

I would suggest setting the friction rings to the heavy load set up and wiping any oil off that may be on the magazine tube. Then see how it cycles, if it jams maybe add a VERY light coating of oil with a rag and see if that helps. With an A-5 you always want the heaviest recoil setting you can get and still get consistent reliability. Since they are recoil operated it is better on the action in the long run. That being said they can take a significant amount of abuse and still last for decades.

Keep in mind it will recoil, slugs will not feel the same as a field load when you pull the trigger ;).

If you want better accuracy I would suggest getting some fiber optic clamp on sights that go on the barrel rib. Shooting with a bead sight and slugs takes some pretty great shooting form. You have to be lined up with the bead perfect and have a very repeatable cheek weld to the stock to pull it off.

Don't bother with a scope or any other type of sights mounted to the receiver since the barrel recoils on every shot I don't see them being very consistent.

Don't be afraid to try different slugs as well, it will like one brand or type over another most likely. Don't shoot sabots out of it either, complete waste of money in a smooth bore. Stick with the rifled/foster slugs. I have good luck with Winchester slugs, but the brenneke/rottwiel slugs are pretty popular in the U.S. so I don't think there is anything wrong with them.

I have an A-5 stalker light with the 22 inch barrel and with clamp on sights off from a bench it will group around 5 inches at 100 yards. I wouldn't expect that from every gun though, I think I got lucky with mine. Some can't do that good at 50 yards.

Good luck,
Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Brithunter

Re: Browning A-5 and Brenneke slugs?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 08:22:05 AM »
Thank you for your help, at the moment I don't know what the choke in this barrel is but just putting a digital caliper in the muzzle and comparing that to my Baikel Model 27 which had full choke in the top barrel. I say had as I got it S/H so it's possible that type previous owner had it opened up so I need to get both checked to find out exactly what they have choke wise. I have also asked a friend to keep an eye out for spare barrels for the Auto-Five, he is going to an auction on Tuesday and there is an engraved Auto-Five there which he will keep an eye on it and see what it goes for. I asked him to find out about a 12 Bore BSA Boxlock and .410 bolt action which is listed as one lot as I want a BSA in good condition for my little collection.

It seems I am too late as usual as the gunsmith who did the restricting on mine recently moved premises and scraped a couple of A-5 barrels  ::) of well there should be more out there, I just need to find them. As for the slugs well I need to work on it now I know for sure it's feasible as due to our stupid laws any shot with less than 9 pieces in it require a Firearms certificate which I have but solid slug is not on it so?.......................................................