Author Topic: .32-20 Imp?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline JimInNJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.32-20 Imp?
« on: July 18, 2003, 11:22:06 AM »
I know I should get the Wolfe Publishing Wildcat books and the P.O. Ackley volumes off of my wish list and onto my bookshelf.  Then maybe I could answer my own questions.

What I am wondering is if there is precedence for improved versions of the .32-20 WCF.  I know about the .218 Mashburn Bee and I have seen Clymer’s reamer drawings for the .25-20 Imp.  Seems to me that their parent (grandparent) the .32-20 would also benefit from the same treatment.

Has it been done before?  Is it worthwhile?  Is it thoroughly covered in one of those books I don’t own?

Thanks,
- Jim

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
.32-20 Imp?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 05:50:17 PM »
I don't think it would get you much. It's nearly straight already, so there's not much room to make it bigger. But if you want more power, use it in a Contender or BF and you can push it to some pretty impressive performance levels.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline JimInNJ

• Avid Poster
.32-20 Imp?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 09:02:03 AM »
I wasn’t looking to make it bigger so much as I was looking to make it easier to reload, and perhaps improving accuracy potential.

I am thinking about building a de Hass Chicopee C. F. rifle from Mr. Single Shot’s Book of Rifle Plans.  The action was designed for the Hornet, Bee, .25-20 and .256 Mag class of cartridges, most of which have the same diameter case as the .32-20 but operate at much higher pressures.  So as you point out, I should be able to get all of the performance I would want by carefully working into the loads listed for “Strong Actions Only” and toward those for “T/C Contender Only.”

I like to avoid FL sizing, and I can make my own neck dies using Redding bushings.  But the standard .32-20 chamber has a tapered neck that would result in my brass getting worked more than needed.  Then I noticed that the standard reamers have a huge freebore diameter, and a neck that is much longer than needed for a single shot . . .

Next thing I know I am designing my own reamer and wondering if it has been done before and what to stamp on the barrel.

- Jim

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
.32-20 Imp?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 08:43:29 AM »
Ah, I see! If you didn't mind the bigger case head, why not cut enough off a .300 Whisper die to give you enough neck on a .357 case? They are much thicker at the web than a 32-20 and should take more pressure. I also did something similar a few years ago - run a 38 special case into a 7.62x25 Tokerev die and see what you get. It has a rather sloping shoulder but is close. You have to redesign the reamer to tighten up the tolerances and the head diameter, but it works nicely. Sounds like a fun project, with lots of possibilities.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline JimInNJ

• Avid Poster
.32-20 Imp?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 05:22:02 PM »
It is always fun to have lots of possibilities.   A .357 mag or max case necked to take .308” or .312” bullets is an appealing concept that I have seen discussed on a Schuetzen forum I occasionally visit.  Such an appealing concept that I ordered a copy of “The Modern Schuetzen Rifle” to learn more about that style of cartridge.  I also ordered the Wolfe and Ackley books this morning.

The cases you describe probably looked a lot like necked up .256 Mags.  Another option would be to go with a straight taper and get a case that would look like a miniature 40-65.  That is probably what the Schuetzen guys are doing.  Lots of possibilities.

I am somewhat concerned about the bigger case head because hoop stresses increase as the diameter of the case increases.  Frank de Hass designed the Chicopee C. F. action to be safe with the .256 Mag which uses the .357 case head, but his plans only call for a .680” barrel shank which seems darn small to a guy who is used to full size rifles.  Doing some math, it looks like scaling it to .720” would make up for the larger case, assuming the same pressures.

Many possibilities indeed, but I will have lots of metal work to do and plenty of time to read before I get to the point where I have to decide on the chambering.

- Jim

Offline walkingwolf

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: .32-20 Imp?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 01:32:40 PM »

Chamber to  310 martini  you will get more powder in
Don't smoke in bed the Assh you save may be your own

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
Huh??? Re: .32-20 Imp?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 06:03:30 AM »
The .32/20 dates from black powder days with brass strength to match. The hornet, .25/20 etc. are of similar vintage. Now the .256 was based on the .357 I believe.  .22 Jet too, I believe. Much stronger "head" of the case.  O.K. I have a theory that the taper in black powder cartridges was to help with extraction since the pressure was pretty low anyway and cases were all copper, pressure limited by the black powder and all the corrosives just might leave pits in the chamber.... I knew a gunsmith who inherited a  Win 73... He told me that reloading was a pain, 'cause the headspace was not tight anyway and the thin brass tended to collapse at the shoulder... With the .25/20 and .218 Bee, if you straighten out the sides and sharp the shoulder, you get something. With the .32 (.308 or .310 bore) you just don't gain anything like as much. I am sure someone has done it and was enough disappointed that they didn't get alot of business doing it again. Same story with the Hornet family. Mr. Ackley reports a .270 Hornet... looks like a little .45/70 almost, but pointed bullet...

As suggested, if I were going to start a project, I would start with a more modern case, .38 Special anyway, for the additional strength. But, yes, you could gain all the Ackley promises, less back thrust, less case lengthening, (the improved performance was "gravy on the taters)... if you wish and don't mind the expense. luck.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Re: .32-20 Imp?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
The .327 Federal could be what you are looking for; a .32 with a little more oomph with stronger brass.  Check the Federal and Ruger sites.  85 gr bullet at 1400 fps from a 3 inch barrel.  Could be a fun item in a long gun without case forming.