Author Topic: I could use some help here.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
I could use some help here.
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:01:54 PM »
It is way past time for a new computer. I can hardly keep this thing going. I want to kick it across the room on a daily basis. The only reason I don't is because I could not talk to you guy's anymore. Here is what is going on now. For about a year I have been on line with this piece of crap 98 windows computer that if any normal person tried to turn on probably could not get it to work. I have three other computers and none of them have worked in a while. Well my wife says the other day that our daughter Courtney needs a computer now for school things she has to do. I can not even get any printer ( AND I HAVE THREE ) to install on this computer. Missing drivers or some thing like that. Like I said this is a real piece of crap. I do have a HP Celoron that had a virus until today. She took it to a computer place today and they fixed it for $60.00. So great we now have a better computer that runs the way it should. We can hook up printers and do anything she will need to do with it for a couple years. The thing is this one is really a real piece of crap. When I do get another I am really going to throw it out the window for some personal pleasure. My wife has given me the go ahead to get a new one next week. She knows this one stinks. I have been looking around and I see this one at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=999977900050001&type=product&id=pcmprd77800050001   

I don't want the bottom of the line and I don't want the top of the line.This one costs about half of what I payed for the HP. I do a lot with music and videos. I have not been able to do such over the past year because this computer is a piece of crap. Do you guy's think this is a good deal? Do you know of another that is better for less? I will not be able to buy another computer for probably another 5 years and just want the best bang for the buck. $600.00 including tax is the budget. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I could use some help here.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »
That doesn't look like a bad buy, but I'd up the RAM to 2Gb, the recommended minimum for Vista Home Premium is 1Gb, but you'll appreciate 2Gb if you can get it for a reasonable amount, ask em how much to upgrade.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:10:59 PM »
I have to say there is no comparison between 98 Windows and Windows XP. I am now up and running on XP again and it could be compared to a 17HMR and a 300 Win Mag. I have not had this computer in a very long time. Boy what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If I only thought it would cost $60.00 to fix it I would have done that long ago. The new hard drive is only 10 GB but with the OP sytstems. I have about 6.5 left. That is enough to down load some music and video to the hard drive and burn it to disc. Not ideal but way better than Windows 98. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »
Yup you go ahead and down load that music and videos. Then come back in a few days crying about how your computer is all full of viruses and other bad junk. Stay AWAY from such crap and you might save your computer. Ignore the warning and the day is not so far away when the shop will get another $60 from you. When Matt had his shop in Jacksonville a few years back we had folks bringing them in every day for just that reason. Shops don't mind at all taking your money in fact it's how they stay in business.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 03:46:24 PM »
I love reformatting and setting up but I never did it for 60 bucks. Hell that would get me through the door.I did my mother in laws about 5 times told her to stay away from online game sites and music/movie download sites. Last time I redid it charged her 100 bucks and poof she never had to play games or try to get free movies and music. but hey live and learn. The funny part is it is always the computers fault lol.
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive