Author Topic: firing pin sticks  (Read 984 times)

Offline ranger 76

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
firing pin sticks
« on: September 25, 2007, 07:01:30 PM »
Got a new ultra hunting rifle in 243. if you dry fire it the firing in sticks out and stops you from closing the action can be pushed in with knife dosn't stick when firing a shell. IS There how to break down the action on here and how would I find it if there is ? Would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks Lorne

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: firing pin sticks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 07:15:46 PM »

Welcome aboard...

Here's a link to the parts schematic..http://home.comcast.net/~quickdtoo/HR_NEF_exploded_view.jpg.pdf This is up in the FAQ's at the top of the page...FWIW...I don't dry fire any gun without the appropriate snap cap being in place..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline ranger 76

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »
As a rule i don't dry fire my guns either. I just took it out of the box and had to try the trigger nice pull. By removing the release lever and firing pin retaining pin will the firing pin come out? Or do I have to take down the action? I had it at the range today shoot some three shot 3/4 inch groups at 100 meters the firing pin stayed out 2 out of 20 shots. The pin sticks even if you pull the trigger and push the hammer ahead with your thumb. Any help would be welcome.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
Sounds like the firing pin return spring is broken/missing or the pin is gummed up, did you try a dry cleaner/lube spray to see if you could free up the pin so it retracts on its own? I've never removed just the firing pin, but I think the top frame pin will release the firing pin, whether you can get it back together without a complete R&R I don't know. You could also send it in the H&R for repair, they should cover shipping, give em a call at their toll free number (866)776-9292.

Complete trigger R&R by Perklo info can be found in the FAQs, although he doesn't show firing pin removal since it's not required for a trigger hone.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 02:17:55 PM »
Any update?  ???

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 06:29:34 PM »
The action has to be Taken appart to remove the firing pin. The latch release push leaver is held by the same pin that retains the firing pin. The transfer bar  and hammer has to be removed.

The pin hole and the firing pin seat hole crosses and leaves burrs at the
junction where the return spring gets hung up or bound.

Polish the pin hole and the seat hole and remove the grit and burrs in the bottom also polish the firing pin too. When you'r done and every thing is
smooth the firing pin should fall out by gravity

My firing pin and spring created 12oz of resistance and gave me poor ignition.
See my web pages with full explanation. This is pretty simple job.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline ranger 76

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »
last week I took my rifle apart cleaned up the the firing pin.While I was at it I did a trigger job to, followed the instructions from www.perkloafm.com the transfer bar had fallen apart so I had to re rivet it, all went well the instructions are great. The rifle has a good trigger pull now, haven't got to the range to try it out yet.