Author Topic: Model 23 S x S  (Read 612 times)

Offline chucky52

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Model 23 S x S
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
I have taken a liking to a model 23 and don't know much about this shotgun or it's variations or values. Planning to use it for pheasant hunting. I'm still open minded about a good, light pheasant gun, advice appreciated.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Model 23 S x S
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:08:13 PM »
The Model 23 is a Japanese-made (Miroku?), Winchester-branded replacement (?) for the famous/discontinued Model 21, that was introduced in 1978 & disc ca 1987-87.

There were several models/configs/2 bbl sets, and "limited editions", too - like the Light & Heavy Duck, Quail Special, etc.

A NIB example, w/box & papers would be worth $2K to $5K, depending on Model/config/engraving, etc.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Arizona Jake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Model 23 S x S
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 05:10:08 PM »
I lucked into a Pigeon-Grade Model 23  in 20 gauge that had fired 1 box of shells through it back in 2001 and paid $1200.00 for it.  It has 28" barrels and came choked modified/full. The finish was in mint condition.

Since I have NO intention of ever selling it, I had it re-choked to Improved Cylinder/Modified and added a 1" recoil pad to extend the length of pull. Factory guns choked IC/M come with 26" barrels. I also replaced the glossy factory finish with a hand-rubbed oil finish and it now looks like the fine shotgun it is.

While my M-23 is not as light or fast swinging on desert quail as my Browning 425, it is still a pleasure to hunt with. I've also used it to take limits on doves.

You will not be disappointed when you get your hands on one!

Regards,
Joaquin B.:cb2: