Author Topic: Simple ?? Unless ya don't know the answer!  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Simple ?? Unless ya don't know the answer!
« on: February 10, 2007, 05:14:07 AM »
Is the 32-20 a 32 cartridge necked down for a 22 bullet?? ???

cookiemann ???
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Simple ?? Unless ya don't know the answer!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 05:19:14 AM »
If it follows suit for all other blackpowder cartridges, it's .32 cal loaded with 20gr of blackpowder or it's equivalent smokeless load.

Tim

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/p3220.html

http://www.reloadammo.com/3220.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 05:26:34 AM »
So, the nomenclature has more to do with the charge than the size of the bullet.  OK, does that follow through with the Marlin 32-20 lever gun, too?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 06:13:18 AM »
Just like a 45-70 is 45 caliber with 70 gr. of black powder. Of course most shooters use the smokeless powder equivalent and the loading data associated wth smokless powder.

Mc

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 06:23:17 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Didn't know...so I ask. ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 06:29:50 AM »
Now here's a real curve, the .38-40 handgun round the bullet diameter is actually .40 (really the same dia. as a .41 Mag.).
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 06:40:05 AM »
All I can say is the exception proves the rule ;D ;D ;D

Mc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 10:53:03 AM »
Now here's a real curve, the .38-40 handgun round the bullet diameter is actually .40 (really the same dia. as a .41 Mag.).

Not really. The .41 Magnum is .410" diameter. The .38-40 like the 10MM and .40 S&W take bullets .400" diameter.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »
So, IF ya could find a Rifled .410 barrel.  Could ya load your own shells with .41 cal. bullets in a sabot?  Hey, ya had to figure I was gonna come up with another UNUSUAL question ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 02:59:45 PM »

The answer to your last question  No You would have to use a smaller bullet,
 Maybe 38 Cal. depend on thickmess of sabot, Which  I don't think amy one makes such!
 My 2 cents Marv.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »
You could always enter the thrilling and occasionally maddening world of paper patching.
 Warning once you start you will become addicted. The Handi is perfect for it. I have nevr seen a rifled 410 bore though. Except the 45/410 . That is the realm of the 450 mongo though.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 03:04:03 AM »
There's that word again MONGO.  I saw that somewhere on here before?? What are you referring to??
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 03:13:57 AM »
OK, so let me get this straight!  IF you could find a saboted bullet of the correct size, you could load your own 410 shells to make sabot slugs and the 410/45 barrel could be used.  The trick would be to find the correct dia. of sabot and bullet that matches the meas. between the lands in the 410/45 barrel.  Correct??

Could you still use a sb1 frame or would you have pressures that would warrant a sb2 frame?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 04:22:26 AM »
The 450 mongo is 444marlin necked up with a45 colt sizing die loaded and fireformed. It was originally a brainchild for the T/c. I found a used set of 45 colt dies and cut off about 3/4 inch and have fewer headaches. It was designed because the 45 colt generally has horrible accuracy out of the dual purpose barrel . Too long of a jump, I think it doesn't hit the bore square. I had a heck of a time getting 8 ' groups at 75 yards with it. I get 3 1/2 now with my load using 2400. I am going to use different powders and work with it in the spring. In MN it doesn't do to work up loads outside when it is in the negative numbers. Things change a lot when the temp goes up 70 -80 degrees. It is fine in the sb-1 as long as you don't try to hot rod it. My load runs about 1300 with a 255 g bullet. As far as a sabot slug in it . You could probably do it if you really want to but why when you could just go Mongo . It is a lot less work. One thin remember you need to use  444 shell holder not the 45 colt one. The load I have is pretty useful.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 04:32:35 AM »
 I think if you did go sabot, you would probably use around an 8mm (32) cal bullet and there aren't many pistol type that would be useful. Rifle bullets would be hard to because of their length. You don't have the chambering profile like you do with the rifle ones. Remember shotshells don't chamber the same. Apds rounds for the MA Deuce and the 22 accelerator type have tapered sabots and roughly duplicate the profile of the full diameter round. Shotgun shells are fully encased without a protruding projectile. They use a relatively light (square) bullet. I think this is the only way to ensure it stabilizes. I could be all wet. Just food for thought.I guess what I mean is that a longer bullet could torque offof true and really wobble, Whreas a more square one is held fully within the sabot and fully stable through the chamber and barrel. That is why they use basically pistol bullets.   Just my $.02

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 04:34:06 AM »
I am only talking about the sabot type and not Foster or Brenneke slugs. Just adding this before someone takes issue about slugs being light.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 05:02:14 AM »
 It sure is fun to play with new concepts in the Handi. I mean if doesn't work out you aren't out a lot as far as a new barrel is concerned. I started messing with the mong because I had the 444 brass and just thought what the heck. I have a 45/ 70 handi, so I wasn't looking to make it into a real thumper. Just duplicate a heavy 45 colt. I have every confidence it will do that and at lower pressure. In case you are wondering, I use 75 yards as my standard, because that is the farthest I can get a clear shot where I hunt. I also Shoot while sitting on a step ladder some to simulate my stand. I know I am  a geek!
  Anyhow have fun. I would love to know if you do play with the sabot thing, But it seems like a lot of work.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 05:45:51 AM »
The only reason for lookin into this, for me, is see if I could come up with something to reach out for coyotes in the "shotgun only" areas near here.  I live in Apple Valley, MN about 20 mi. south of the MOA.  Thought, maybe, a 410 sabot out of a 410/45 might get close to 80 or 100 yards.  I am beginning to think I should just get a USH 20ga and that would be easier.  Thanks for all the info.

What part of MN are you from, moxgrove?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
I live in bloomington, but mostly hunt north. One of the magnum rimfires might be the ticket for you for coyotes. I do like the 20 ga ush though. I just got a tracker 2 and love it.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can use any of the rimfires for other than deer in the shotgun area. I think it is odd you can use any of the handguns that make legal anywhere in the state even in the shotgun zone. I used to go oveer by Windom and hunt on some buddies' land those partition golds really can reach out.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »
Yep, I checked with the DNR last fall.  ONLY PISTOLS, no rifles in pistol caliber.  He said the enforcement of CALIBERS would not work, just too many to keep track and all that.  I used to hunt up at Nemadji State Forest years ago.  Haven't been up there in years.  Thinkin or goin Multi-Zone next year.  Then I can pretty much go everywhere. 
Great to here from a neighbor on here.  Have a great day.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 12:18:54 PM »
Hi Cook:

If your're watching this thread you got a PM.

Mc ;D

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 02:15:44 PM »
I've taken a few deer out of there myself. Now I mostly go by finlayson. One thing I was thinking about is using the 410 brass shell casings. I hven't yet but might be interesting. Maybe stuff a 45 cal bullet and see how it flies. Should be legal and doable. Now you got me thinking.  Stay Warm! It is getting warmer ,woo hoo!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 02:32:48 PM »
I been thinking of getting a 45/410 barrel for my handi to do just this. With the 410 brass it would be definitly legal as far as I can see.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »
Just order a .444 barrel, you won't be able to beat the accuracy. ;)

Tim

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »
A 444 is a rifle Tim. I am in a shotgun only area. Thus using the 410 brass and the 410 marking on the barrel. I am looking for something with a little more spunk than the 410 foster slugs for my daughter. I am thinking of using the hornady sst muzzle loader bullets either 250 or 300 grain depending on what would shoot best. I am going to have it fitted to my sb2 frame and have it drilled and tapped at the factory. I see alot of the guys in this thread are MN guys we'll have to get together and shoot our "shotguns".
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 03:02:26 PM »
Good luck with that, I'd be checking with the game department before using it, that could be an expensive lesson learned, the barrel is also marked 45 Colt. Geting caught for a violation like that here would result in loosing the firearm and my vehicle, at least until I went to court, not worth it. :'(

Tim

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 06:43:24 AM »
To high jack this thread back to the original topic..

A .32-20 necked down to .25 is a .25-20 and a .32-20 necked down to a .22 is more or less a .218 Bee.

Note the two XX-20 rounds were originally BP round and the .218 BEE began as a smokeless round.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 06:58:59 AM »
To high jack this thread back to the original topic..

If you look at the date Cookie started this thread, you'll see it was dead a long time ago, the 450 Mongo subject was brought up by Cookie himself and is the focus of the current discussion. And this thread in the Handloading forum is why this thread was revivied. ;)

Tim