Author Topic: Nikon, Weaver, or Mueller??  (Read 926 times)

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Nikon, Weaver, or Mueller??
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:49:32 PM »
I'm looking for a scope for my T/C Contender rifle in 445 Supermag( my junk optronics scope needs to be relaced)I have narrowed it down to 3. The Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32(Midway-$130), Weaver Classic 1.5-5x32(Midway-$165), or a Mueller Multishot 2-7x32(Mueller- $160).  I like the reticle of the mueller. Plus I have not tryed one(assembled in China scares me).  I already own a Prostaff 2-7 on my Benelli Nova, and is tried and true.  I have nothing but good luck with weaver, but have not used this model.  I like Leupold, but can not afford right now.  So I've narrowed it down to these 3.  Give me your good and bad of these scopes, and which one would you choose.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Nikon, Weaver, or Mueller??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
I have had a couple Nikon prostaff's and like them alot. They were very clear and one even held up on my 300 Win Mag. I own a Mueller 8.5x25x44 Tacticle now and like it a lot. I have no past experience with the Weaver so I can't help you there. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:58:54 PM »
You can spend a little less on the Mueller at another GBO sponsor, SWFA...

http://www.swfa.com/c-1500-mueller-multi-shot-riflescopes.aspx

Another option is the Nikon Prostaff APG Shotgun scope at Midsouth, another GBO sponsor, it's on sale for $124.55, the blued version is less, but out of stock...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=001256317

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=001256308

I've got two of the APG scopes, one of em is on a 500S&W Handi and has held up just fine to extremely stout loads.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 03:42:28 PM »
I vote for the Mueller. I just ordered two of them. A 4.5 X 14 APV for a 22 Hornet and a 8.5X25X44 Tactical Like Dale's for a 221 Fireball. I tossed around getting a Bushnell 3200 10X Tactical and a Nikon Buckmaster. I think i did the best I could with the money I spent. $115 free shipping and sun shade for the APV and $160 for the Tactical free shipping and sunshade.  I know you were not looking at these particular scopes, but I think for the money spent they are the best overall line available. Good luck to you. ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 03:47:38 AM »
I like Nikons and have several Monarchs and think it's better glass then Leupold VXIIIs
I think the Weaver glass is better than the prostaff

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:04:11 AM »
Well, I bought a Bushnell Elite 3200.  I walked in to Fisherman's here in Portland, OR, and looked at Leupolds and Bushnell Elites, not planning on buying one, but just to look.  I was really impressed with the Bushnell Elite 3200 in comparison to the Leupold VX-II.  IMO, the clarity was identical in both scopes.  And when the sale clerk told me the Bushnell was only $180, it went home with me.  I have started another thread on this, seens how I drifted away from the intial topic of this thread.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!