Author Topic: 450 Bushmaster  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
450 Bushmaster
« on: November 12, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »
Has anyone read any reviews of the AR 15 Bushmaster 450? It looks like a hog and deer hunting rifle to top everything.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 450 Bushmaster
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »
I haven't read any reviews. It is very light for such a gun and the bullet is a 45cal hornaday muzzleloading bullet that is if you get a box of hornaday in it. It looks like it would be a good rifle for $1100. The gun shop sold it to someone as their elk, black bear, hog, and deer rifle. It feels kinda cheap though.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline JimP.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 05:25:55 AM »
You might want to look at the .458 SOCOM, would be a better shooter, will handle higher bullet weights and better velocities and brass is available from Starline...JimP. ;D

Offline targshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:39:04 PM »
Ditchdigger,
I own one AR15 derivative, and it is chambered for the 5.56x45. The firearm was initially designed as a .308 platform (not the AR15 but a predecessor AR10), but it evolved into a 5.56x45 platform even before becoming the M16. All its on-going development and improvement has been based on the 5.56. The 5.56 has low impulse energy recoil due to the light weight of its projectile, and the rifle and parts have been designed with this in mind. Heavier bullets have higher impulse energy in their recoil, and this induces stress on the rifle for which it is not designed. There have been some interesting chamberings (7.62x39, 9mm Parabellum, etc.) that have quietly died on the vine due to performance problems. I would be quite reluctant to sink a lot of money into one of these rifles in other than 5.56. My 2 centavos.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 04:32:16 PM »
Targshooter,you're probably right about this,and thats why I'm looking for a test article on the gun.I can't find any pressure figures for the rd.,but it sounds like just the gun I could use in my type of hunting.I could use it all winter on wild hogs,and go after the PD's in the summer (with a 223 upper) I'm using a Saiga in 308 for now,and it's very very good with the 125 gr. bt's.  Digger

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54:52 AM »
Ditchdigger,
Do you already have an AR lower? The reason I ask is this. The Bushmaster 450 round (go to the Hornady site) is nothing phenomenal, throwing a light .45 caliber bullet at modest velocity. It will be useless in brush with its low sectional density. I would bet an angled shot on a deer or larger animal will end up in an easily deflected bullet off a rib or shoulder bone. If you like the AR platform, look at the 6.5mm Grendel or a 6.8mm SPC. The Grendel uses standard AR magazines, the other two rounds require their own specialized magazines (always read this expensive). Why Ruger did not make the Ranch rifle in the Grendel amazes me. They can keep the 6.8, but the 6.5 Grendel would be a passable hunting round and would suit the Mini-14 platform well.
In reading the Bushmaster/Hornady hoopla on the 450 Bushmaster, they are claiming it is the fruition of Jeff Cooper's "Thumper" concept.
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=543
Actually, this is not true, as his round was slower and based on the 44 Automag cartridge in a 4.5 lb gun. There was no prototype and it was a conceptual firearm only. Again, my 2 centavos, but I think this is a poorly executed idea that will not match the field effectiveness of the .44 Mag (another poor brush penetrator, but one with 270 grain bullets available that work well in the Deerfield and have a better SD than the 250 grain 450 Bushie slug) in the Ruger Deerfield for less than half the price of the Bushmaster. IMO, the 450 Bushmaster is also bested by the Mini-14 in 6.8 SPC or an AR platform gun in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »
Targshooter,my interest in it was because I chambered a 44 mag to a 445 supermag in a Handi rifle,and it was a very good round on hogs.I shot one hog in the rear left hip and it traveled 37" smashing the left hip,the right shoulder,and stopped just under the skin.It was 139 yds. and a 265 gr. Hornady at 2100 fps.The main thing I wanted was firepower,because in the thickets is where the dumb hogs are. They don't know there dead,and they tend to take offense at being hit with a hot bullet.Since there's no trees big enough to climb,its up to me to stop them or outrun them. :o :o :o :o Since I'm 66 yrs. old,I'd rather stop them if I can. ;D ;D ;D Digger

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
Ditchdigger,
Did not mean to rain on your parade, just feel there are better alternatives. I shot my first boar with a .375H&H, and I hit its front knee joint as I aimed for the heart. The 300 grain bullet was deflected as it passed through the knee to the front of the heart, where it took out the arteries, yet the thing still ran 40 yards and took several minutes to bleed out and die. Shot the second one with a .260 Remington using 160 grain Hornady RNs. Clipped the leg bone, took both lungs and exited far side shoulder. It ran 200 yards and was dead when we arrived. They do take killing. Your Handi rifle cartridge is a much better round than the 450 Bushmaster. If you want a semi-auto, why not a Browning BAR or Remington 7400 Carbine? The 220 grain 06 penetrates brush and animal with the best of them, its sectional density being one of the best. The BAR is offered in a favorite of mine, the .338 Win MAg, which has readily available 250 grain bullet loads, these also having good sectional density.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »
You can get it in heavy grain bullets. The action is strong enough and it won't be deflected as easy as many say.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 04:21:28 PM »
I guess I'll just use my Saiga in 308 with the 125 gr.bt's.I've never had one to get up after being hit with them.They will squeel there head's off until they die,but they can't get up,no mater were you hit them. The 450 bushmaster sure looks good on paper though.  Digger

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 06:19:03 AM »
If I had the money then I would have one.

Rick