Author Topic: Anybody have an interest in Coast Artillery?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Anybody have an interest in Coast Artillery?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 05:53:47 PM »
It kinda looks like he's only pointing at something in the sky.
It's a bird!!! It's a plane!!! It's......
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 06:35:59 PM »
You number one GI!!!

The analysis.  That old chemical photo is of pretty good quality for comparison.  Relying on the college class I took in 1968 on forensic comparison this is what I come up with.

Here are the possible comparison points.  Look at the cirlcled points  then look at the same point in the photo uncircled. Compare the shape of the reference point from one photo to another.  The most conclusive to my eye is the second from left.  The two shapes appears to be almost indentical.  The fourth from left also  appears very close of you compare the shape and relationship of the right edges.

The two photo's where take from two different angles so it not possible to say with certainty, but I would say very likely and even highly likley. 

What does the webwsite say?  You guys should post these pictures over on the Ft Casey board and see what response you get.  Frank you might have to make a pilgrimage.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 08:24:34 AM »
     When preparing these photos for comparison, I forgot the first rule of Spelunking.  When exploring a cave, bring a flashlight!!  DD, thanks for shining some light on this subject.  It's more clear than ever that we do, indeed, have a match.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 01:18:02 PM »
     Mike and I followed the "Norway Mortar" thread by Max Caliber with interest and it reminded us of one of the most unusual and successful  uses of coast artillery, ever.  A powerfull squadron of Nazi Germany's ships led by the Heavy Cruiser, Blucher, followed by the Pocket Battleship, Lutzow forced a passage north through Oslo fjord toward the old Oscarsburg Fortress.  Part of the German Invasion of Norway, Group #5, their mission was to capture Norway's government, the Norwegian Royal family and any armories in Norway's capitol city, Oslo and install a German Military occupation government with Quisling assistance. They knew about the fortress, but discounted it as old and obsolete, a fatal mistake.  The fortress had four main weapons.  There were three 28 cm (11") coast artillery rifles, named Joshua, Moses and Aron mounted in 1893 at the top of the fortress on front-pintle, barbette mounts.  Only two were manned.  Also, unknown to the Germans, an underground torpedo battery was located on another island opposite the fortress guns.  Three antiquated, but functional, 40 year old, Whitehead torpedoes awaited the Kreigsmarine's newest ship, Blucher. 

On April 9th 1940 all these elements came together and resulted in the sinking of the heavy cruiser, Bulcher and the loss of a large contingent of Nazi SS troops and 163rd infantry regiment troops and Kreigsmarine sailors, between 650 and 800 went to the bottom with the ship; 550 survived.  This action also resulted in the halt of the invasion squadron #5.  In fact, the Battleship Lutzow went as fast as she could in reverse to get out of the narrow fjord.  Only two shells from the old Krupp rifles, Model 1892, were fired, but they hit, and started massive fires and cut critical electrical power to the ship's guns.  When the flaming cruiser came in front of the torpedo tubes, two were fired and both hit with disastrous results for the Nazis. 

The link provided includes photos of the guns and some comments about the Oscarsborg Fortress and the battle.  Go to the Bottom Menu Item first, then the sinking page second, to get the complete story.

http://www.admiral-hipper-class.dk/bluecher/bluecher_menu.html

FYI,

Tracy and Mike

Offline misfire

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »
These guns are still on Corregidor

Yeah that is my ugly mug

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 04:26:46 PM »
     Nice pics, Misfire.  Glad to know there are a few of those around the world.  There are only four left in the continental United States.  There are four of those 12 inch, Model 1890-M1 seacoast mortars in Battery Laidley in Ft. Desoto guarding Tampa Bay in Florida.  Usually, 4 to a pit, there are only two in each of two pits at DeSoto.  It was very difficult to manuever the shells during the reloading cycle with all four guns in position.  Those extremely heavy shells would go right through a vessel in those Endicott Period days just prior to WWI.  You have better photos than any of the coastal forts sites have!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline misfire

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 07:46:50 AM »
There are quite a few of these left on Corregidor. Here are a couple of others and some coastal guns. Many of these guns were fired right up until the surrender. The tubes were supposed to be replace after so many shells were fired but they just kept on hammering until they ran out of ammo for them. The last picture is of one of the magazines. You can go into most of the building around the island but it is at your own peril. Most are bombed out and unsafe. Something you could never do here in the US, The bad part is that these are being eroded away with time and the Filipinos do not have the monet to save them for the next generations to see. I would recommend that if you can make the trip to see them GO. Or you will not be able to in the very near future. I hope you enjoy these photos. I have many others form the islands but do not deal with canons.

Offline misfire

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 07:49:57 AM »
One More.