Author Topic: One receiver and multi-barrels question  (Read 709 times)

Offline norman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
  • Liberal, Kansas
One receiver and multi-barrels question
« on: November 01, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »
This question is for the guys with one receiver and several barrels.  If you do all the mods to the fore-end, r.t.v, o-ring, etc what happens when you put on another barrel?  To clarify: I do all the mods with the 243 bbl attached and get say1/2 inch groups, what will happen if I put on a .45 Colt bbl?  Will I have to do all the mods over again?  I haven't seen this dis-cuss-ion come up yet. :D  Inquiring minds want to know.   ;D  thanks
Norman

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: One receiver and multi-barrels question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:07:21 PM »
You can try using one forend, but the best option would be to have a dedicated forend for each barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doug K.A.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:11:11 AM »
You can try using one forend, but the best option would be to have a dedicated forend for each barrel.

Tim
When you buy a new barrel, does the forend come with it?
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:45:59 AM »
no, unless it's a Huntsman barrel, they do come with the special forearm they need. Forearms are fairly inexpensive and actually quite easy to make also if you wanted to. With the help of Dale (Dalescarpentry) another member here, I made up some fine Rosewood forearms out of wood I had acquired. He did the routing for the barrel channel and sent the roughs back to me and I fitted and finished them, the one I have completed so far is really sweet for what I wanted it for, and made out of a fine, stable piece of wood also. You might even post a WTB in the classifieds here and come up with a used forearm....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:21:41 AM »
Most stocks are listed in the Retail Parts Price list in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 06:27:10 AM »

Tim

Yup...this is the best thing to do...They don't cost much...and you can order one when you buy a barrel...With the different contours of the barrels and the differences in the barrel stud placement..using different barrels with the RTV compound can be an issue...but most will depend on how it is applied in the forearm...If you keep it out of the recessed notch...and just use it in front & behind the stud...it won't hurt it alot to switch between barrels...Nor will it on using the o-rings...just get different o-rings and keep them on each barrel...You can get by doing it this way...but I do prefer having separate forearms

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...