Author Topic: Anyone using that "stump licker" type of stuff?  (Read 473 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Anyone using that "stump licker" type of stuff?
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:15:52 AM »
I've been seeing tons of the salt blocks, rocks, deer cocaine, stump licker and tons of other stuff I must have never noticed before.   Do any of you use this type of stuff?  Morally I don't have any problem with it because I don't see much difference between hunting over a bait pile in the woods and hunting over a corn field full of food.  Not trying to get people upset or anything, but I'm very curious about the stuff and I'm thinking about putting some out with a trail camera covering it to see what I can see.

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone using that "stump licker" type of stuff?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:06:36 AM »
You can buy the high tech stuff or you can go low cost, low tech like I did back in the dark ages.  Get some sidewalk salt like you put on snow and ice and fill a couple of gallon jugs half full.  Fill jugs full of hot water. Put them up and every time you walk by them, give 'em a good shaking.  You're making salt syrup.  While on your deer scouting trips, find you a couple of stumps that are rotting into the ground that are near some good deer activity. Also near a good place for a blind or a tree stand.  Not close to a foot path or road.  A week or two before the season opens take your salt syrup and pour it over the stumps. Slowly so it will soak into the nice punky wood. Once they find it, they'll literally dig up the roots to get the salt. 
I don't think it'll work on the same day you put it out.  It takes a while for them to find it.

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Anyone using that "stump licker" type of stuff?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »
works just takes a while to find it.. once established they love it.
dk