Author Topic: Artillery impact pics from Camp Grayling 2007  (Read 1309 times)

Offline leesecw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Artillery impact pics from Camp Grayling 2007
« on: November 05, 2007, 04:59:20 PM »
I have a number of other pics of this event. Ive been attending many years. These are impacts from mostly 3 inch ordinance rifle, but there were also 10 pound parrotts and one Wiard firing on the line. These are behind the targets at 1200 yards around 40 to 60 yards farther behind the plywood sheets. There was damage another 80 yards behind these also and probably further if we walked further.
my email is leesecw@sbcglobal.net i you want any other pics emailed directly

If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Artillery impact pics from Camp Grayling 2007
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 06:25:11 PM »
Kim,

I got no explanation...I had to pull new links from my hosted pictures to make them work.

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 01:48:15 AM »
I loved the Parrot mortar  ;D

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 02:25:42 AM »
Hmmm... I wonder what caused the key-holing of those two rounds on the target there.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 03:49:01 AM »
Jeez, I wonder how the cannon got broke. Neat pictures. Never gave a thought about
where the projos went after striking the target. Thanks for sharing.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 04:36:29 AM »
The gun on the broken carriage was a Blakely. I thought the mortar comment was funny though. The rounds that hit sideways on the pywood sheet hit the ground in front of the target and started spinning. Those rounds that ricochet off the ground make an awful racket and some nasty damage as they ricochet off trees while they spin.

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 05:07:33 PM »
 Those are cool pics! after years of looking at old photos of civil war tree damage, i can now see it in color. i have a neat bit of history i can share on a Blakely. during the war, one of Stuart's guns was a Blakely. besides having a hard time getting ammo for it, it broke just about every fight it was in. usually the metal bed of the elevating screw gave away.  but from what i've read, it was a well liked gun when it held together. keep the pics coming!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »
Lance,
    That is true about Stuart's gun. Several reports in the OR's stating the gun was out of action . It could be partly because the blakely was adapted to the American style carriage. Required moving the screw box forward under the barrel. making it real close to the axle strap bolts .

Offline lance

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 03:34:35 PM »
Lance,
    That is true about Stuart's gun. Several reports in the OR's stating the gun was out of action . It could be partly because the blakely was adapted to the American style carriage. Required moving the screw box forward under the barrel. making it real close to the axle strap bolts .
well, this is one of those times that, if you didn't mention it, i could have told ya, now my brain is spinning. anyway what i can remember is there was more than one Blakely, and they had a violent recoil. can't remember why right now, also can't remember which batteries under Stuart had which guns, i must be tired. anyway my most favorite thing to collect is books, have a ton of them. if you want an excellent book, pick up: Galloping Thunder- The Stuart Horse Artillery Battalion   by Robert J. Trout        786 pages of everyday life and all the battles, including which guns broke at what time and why. it's really a wealth of info, and if i wasn't so tired i'd run through those 786 pages.  because i love history, i recommend that book to everyone, trust me, it's a great one to have!!!

Offline lance

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:33:35 PM »
 leesecw, here's those two pics ya e-mailed me, i can post them but you have to be logged in to see them. you can explain what the pics are:

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 04:13:48 AM »
The impact1 pic is a pic of a ground entry and the round exited at the point my friend ron is standing and the impact2 pic is a small limb that the round still had enough force to take off the tree. You can just imagine what the ground looked like after those battles. Amazing

Offline lance

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Well,either i'm getting better at posting pics, or something happened! that's not the way they looked last night ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »
It's magic!