Author Topic: Backstrap Q  (Read 795 times)

Offline Caspian35

• Trade Count: (0)
Backstrap Q
« on: June 21, 2003, 12:51:44 PM »
I was nosing around my local Cabela's and got to the section full of cap and ball revolvers, and found some real pretty .44's. What I was wondering about was the rumors about brass backstraps bending under the recoil of a 44. Does anyone know if these are true or just rumors? Also what sort of muzzle velocity could I expect from a .36 as compared to a .44?

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Backstrap Q
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 07:59:29 AM »
Seems most of the pards doing their own testing have reported velocities under 900fps for either caliber.

As for that rumor...never heard of that one.  Haven't heard anyone complain about grip frame stretching.  There have been reports of brass frames shooting loose, though.  Could this be what you heard?   :-)
Singing Bear

Offline Caspian35

Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 12:27:01 PM »
Could be, it's been a while ago since I heard the rumor...

Offline Flint

backstraps
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 12:59:52 PM »
There is no way a brass backstrap is going to bend from the recoil of a percussion 44.  A brass backstrap won't bend from the recoil of a 44 Magnum.  I have an 1872 open-top in 44 Special, after a day of shooting all the screws are tight and NOTHING is bent.  The brass warning you may have heard concerns the receiver frame, pretty as they are, cannot bear much shooting.  They are not recommended for conversions by R&D or Kirst in either Colt or Remington pattern.  The gripframe, however is under no particular stress unless you loosen all the screws before you shoot.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Backstrap Q
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 03:32:35 PM »
Caspian;

First of all, no, the backstrap will not bend under recoil. Some of the pistols that have totally brass frames have been known to have longevity problems. Stick with a pistol that has a steel frame and the brass grip frame will not matter at all.

Velocities are less a consideration with a cap and ball pistol than they are with a centerfire. You don't need a certain muzzle velocity to achieve deformation of the ball since the ball is pure lead and will deform at fairly low velocities. Second, a true ball has a different striking surface than does a bullet. Its face is more blunt and it imparts a greater shock than a projectile that has a more pronounced ogive.

I shoot both .44 and .36 caliber pistols from Cabela's and I can tell you a cap and ball pistol is as accurate as any other practial sidearm at reasonable ranges. I have a .44 target model that will shoot 2" groups at 25 yards and an 1860 .44 model that will stay inside 3" at the same range. I have a .36 Navy that shows promise, but I haven't worked with it much yet.

Lyman publishes a black powder handbook that lists loads and velocities. I just purchased a chronograph a week or two ago, and have not tried it yet, but I expect the .36 to give me an honest 900 fps with a standard load of 25 grains of FFFg. Just to let you know about their use for hunting, I took a red fox last fall with the .36 at about 10 to 15 yards. The ball penetrated the chest through and through. Now a fox isn't much larger than a good sized cat, but the wound was more impressive than I'd expected.

Cap and ball revolvers are a shooting discipline unto themselves. They are more fun than you'd expect, and one cannot really know what it was like for settlers who staked their fortune on a westward dream in the post Civil War era, unless they have really come to know the cap and ball revolver.

Regards;

Dan C