Author Topic: Conicals in the CVA  (Read 838 times)

Offline brasschaser

• Trade Count: (0)
Conicals in the CVA
« on: December 02, 2007, 08:48:52 AM »
Anyone have good luck with conicals in the CVA muzzle loaders with 1/28" twist?  Was looking into the Hornday GP and the Lee REAL. 

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
Re: Conicals in the CVA
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:57:31 PM »
I have not tried either of those. I would say the CVA seems to like powerbelts and they are closer to being a conical than a sabot slug.

Offline dmurphy317

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 07:39:40 PM »
Not sure about those but give them a try and see. I have used some Powerbelts with good results and I like the No Excuses and Bull Shops conicals with good results. The 1:28 twist works very well with medium to larger conicals. The tighter fitting ones may give you trouble if they don't line up straight when started into the bore. The slip fit conicals like the NE and BS line up easily and, for me, shoot well. Good luck with it.
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.

Offline millwright

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:54:06 PM »
I have a cva with a 1in32 twist that I shoot lee real bullets with.  This bullet is cast from pure lead and drops at about 325gr.  I use 100 gr of loose pyrodex rs and it performs well.  I have lubed with liquid alox and also with natural lube 1000 with good results.
The worst time to find your tongue is when you lose your head.