Author Topic: Left handed  (Read 734 times)

Offline Docins

• Trade Count: (0)
Left handed
« on: February 06, 2006, 05:02:03 AM »
Any suggestions for a beginner rifle for a left handed youth. (7 years old)

Offline savageT

Left handed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:20:32 AM »
Practice, practice, practice. :)
Seriously, what are you looking to start with here?  Do you want to introduce the lad to an air rifle, or rim-fire .22?  I'd suggest that you begin with visiting a local range/club to ask about any events coming up that you could attend together just to get a feel for what shooting is all about and ask questions.  Some clubs have muzzle loader weekends and that's a bucket of grins to watch.  I would also suggest that you invest in a couple pair of ear protection devices so that the noise doesn't become a flinch problem.
Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
Left handed
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 06:01:51 AM »
Can't beat a Daisy Red Rider and a pond full of frogs or a barnyard full of starlings.  That's how I learned to shoot.  

When it time for a center fire any of those cheap single shots in 410 or 20 will do.  I'd go with 20 because it's easy to become frustrated with the small pattern of a 410.  Seems the most fun is to stand at the low house of a skeet range because the shots are very simple and the situation is easy to control.  

As for the left handed, I didn't get a left handed gun until I was in my teens... It was an 870 that had the safety switched... unfortunately I found that the gas from the chamber was getting in my eyes.  The solution was to go with a BPS that ejects out the bottom and has the safety on top.  No gas, no extra cost to change the safety.

Growing up I just became comfortable with switching off a right handed safety.  It wasn't ideal but it rarely cost me.  I became comfortable with it by shooting thousands of bbs out of the Red Rider.

I've never owned or shot a left handed rifle.  Since rifle shooting rarely requires the snap shots that shotgun shooting does, I've never encountered a problem.

Offline savageT

Left handed
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »
...just as dukkllr said, a Red Ryder Daisy BB gun can be an excellent trainer.  I had one as a youth.
But a word of caution.  Never let a youth out of your sight alone with a firearm, regardless of how innocent it may seem.  Practice gun safety at all times with an adult standing by.
Now, concerning left-handed operation with a lever or pump action, there are no special concerns except, of course, the need to determine which eye is dominent for aiming.  As you know, shouldering the gun to the left shoulder, sight down the barrel with the left eye.  Sorry, but there are times when a novice will use the opposite eye.
Finally, check out the hunter safety courses available in your area if you aren't familiar with the basic safety rules handling firearms.  BOTH your youthful gun handler and you can use the great things learned in this course.
Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
first gun,
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 05:06:25 PM »
I would recommend a HANDI-RIFLE. Its a single shot break action gun. It is relatively inexpensive and very easy to manipulate. Right hand left hand it doesn't make a difference.

longwalker