Author Topic: New .308  (Read 1255 times)

Offline greenjeans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New .308
« on: November 03, 2007, 02:59:01 PM »
Picked up a Handi in .308 today. I don't reload, so would like some recommendations on factory ammo yu have had good success with. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Didn't really need another .308 since I have a Savage, but needed to get rid of a revolver I just couldn't shoot worth a darn. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: New .308
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:22:47 AM »
You can't go wrong with Remington Core-Lokts, or Federal Fusion, or Federal power shoks, but give the Winchester Super X power point a try, and you might be pleasantly surprized.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:54:10 AM »
federal gold match!!!!

168gr they fly well and hit hard , i they say not to use it for hunting but trust me after about ten deer with no probs i'm still using them
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 02:24:21 PM »
Jimbo47: I use Core-Lokts and PP's in some of my other rifles. Have been using PP's except for the 25-06 and it seems to shoot the Core-Lokts better. Tried the Power Shoks in .243, but weren't too accurate in the Handi. Thanks for the response.

Mitchell: I have a couple boxes of the Federal Gold Match that my son in law gave meand was planning on using some of them to get on paper. We'll see how those work. Thanks.

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »
I use Federal Power shock 180 gr in mine and took a muley at 330 yds, Only factory box ammo I count on. JMHO - F50

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:23:18 AM »
Here is another vote for federal fusion.  My Survivor 308 REALLY LIKES them.  Right now I am using 180 grain, but it shoots the 150 grain almost as well. 8)
Here is a 10 pointer I shoot 10-30-07 with one.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc127/JKump/100_0229.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc127/JKump/100_0228.jpg
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline Nightstalker6117

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 03:24:28 AM »
Green ... sorry to get off track but what kind of groups are you getting out of your 25-06 with the core-lokts. That is what i am shooting right now with decent results 1 1/2 to 2 inches. That is good for me because I am sure the gun is better it is just me.I still have  half a box of powershocks and a brand new box of hornady sst's that i am going to try next. So far I have been really happy with the 25. Have you taken any deer with yours and with what results mine have been good so far I shot one at 20 yards and surprizingly the bullet never exited and was intact. Now for weight retention i bet it lost 1/2. I dont know never measured it but serious damage. The second time no exit from about 40 yards and never found the bullet. Serious damage then too. None to the meat though  ;D .  I am sure that I would get completely different results if i used it for the bean field gun that it is supposed to be but i cant make the deer come out further away from me if they dont want to. Oh yea the corelokts are 100 gr the SST's i am gonna try are 117.
NEF 25-06 3x9x40 Bushy
Support the men and women that risk their lives for your rights

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 07:26:21 AM »
Nightstalker,

I get 1" to 1-1/2" with the Core-Lokts. Mine is the Ultra with the 26" barrel and laminated stocks. Was the first Handi I bought 5 or 6 years ago. The gun can shoot much better than I can and I don't try for sub MOA with any of mine. I'm just not that good. I have taken one good size doe with it the first year I had it, but it was with the 120 grain Winchester Power Points. The shot was only about 40 yards and the bullet went completely through, but without much of an exit hole. She went about 75 yards before she went down and it was a good shot. I went to the Core-Lokts because my buddy and his grandson were, and are, having great success with the 130 grain in their .270's. I use the PP's in my Savage .308 and my Handi 30-06 and have never had one run over 30 or 40 yards. I also have several boxes of 100 grain Core-Lokts that I picked up real cheap a couple of years ago, but have not hunted with them. They seem to be just as accurate as the 120's even though the OAL is a lot different. I'm like you, most of our shots are well under 100 yards so the 25-06 doesn't get out much. I normally hunt with .270, .308, or 30-06. Just depends on how I feel on any particular day.

I have some BTHP's in .308 Hornady Moly coated that I might try in the new Handi .308. Have heard pro's and con's about shooting the moly coated. I wouldn't hunt with them, but might try some when sighting in. I think they are the same bullet that is in the Federal Gold Match but with the moly. Good luck and keep me posted on what works for you.

Offline Nightstalker6117

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 04:42:40 PM »
Green ... dont quote me on this but i have heard that if you  start with moly coated bulets you cant go right into shooting non coated. Something about the fild or caoting those bullets leave behind. I guess if you sight in with non coated bullets and then shoot some moly caoted and then go back to non coated you will not get the same POI with the non caoted that you were getting originally.  I guess you have to do some serious cleaning of the bore if you decide to go back to non coated. You will have to take the 25 out and let me know what kind of results you are getting. thanks for the info and I hope that my little bit of info helps you that is if it is true ???  :-\   it was hear say from the salesman at the I store that i bought my handi from. I figured it had to be true since he told me to get the cheaper bullets. Oh yea mine is just the typical handi with 26 in barrel. and a bushnell 3x9x40 on top. I think i could benefit from a little more scope.
NEF 25-06 3x9x40 Bushy
Support the men and women that risk their lives for your rights

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:43:10 AM »
Yeah, I've heard the same thing about the moly coating, but don't know if true or not. My 25-06 has a Bushnell Banner 3 x 9 x 50 on it and it works well. Just put a Bushnell Trophy 3 x 9 x 40 on the .308 last night with Weaver Quad Loc high rings. Had to grind the hammer spur down for clearance, but i like it. I have more Bushnells than anything else and never had a problem with any of them. I'm going to research the moly some more.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:49:32 PM »
Went out this afternoon and sighted in the .308 Handi. Used the Federal 168 grain gold match to get it on paper. Bore sighted by looking down barrel and moving crosshairs. First shot from clean barrel right on the edge of an 8" Shoot n See at about 7 o'clock. Next two were almost touching dead on vertical and about 3 - 1/2" left. Adjusted and got it within about 1" of center. Switched to 150 gr. Express Core-Lokts and was about 3" right and 2" low. Got it right with about 4 more shots. Tried a couple of 150 grain Power Points after had it sighted in with the Core Lokts and they were high left. Going to take it out hunting in the morning.

The Federal Gold Match grouped really well, but don't want to use them for hunting. They are BTHP.

Thanks for the help, guys. :) :)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 03:06:31 PM »
Those Match Golds are some of THE finest ammo on the market, and are incredibly consistent. I'm a big fan of the Matchkings.  Try them in your Savage and see.
 I wouldn't personally have reservations about hunting with them, though I would understand some being a little cautious.
Try some Federal Power-Shocks, Fusions, and though a little pricey, some Winchester Supreme Silver Tips- just make sure you group these ST's from a clean bore and after a couple flyers of only them.
 ... I almost always have good results from these.
Every rifle is different, so as far as factory is concerned try and try alike.
Good hunting out there with what ever you side with.

-Aaron

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 10:58:14 AM »
I have a 20" bull .308.  I bought an assortment of .308 loads of different brands and bullit weights to test out to see what was best.  So I start out with the cheapest to sight in, Fed Power Shocks 150gr.  After 4 shots to center @ 25yd I move out to 100yd and get a 1/2 group.  Did it a couple of more times and called it a day. 
I am almost afraid to shoot my other .223 barrel for fear I might mess up this configuration of forearm tension.

But this is after following Handi basics for trigger, o ring and 500 passes with JB.  My first groups before this with same ammo were 3-4in.

what a difference a day and some elbow grease will make.