Author Topic: 45 lc rebarrel  (Read 718 times)

Offline KLA

• Trade Count: (0)
45 lc rebarrel
« on: November 10, 2007, 05:10:05 AM »
I have a 243 sl and would like to get either a 45 lc or 45/70 accessory barrel for it.  I've got several questions.  Is the 45 lc barrel only available in 22" even though the BC carbine has a 20" barrel?  Will the 22" 45 lc barrel be lighter than a 22" 45/70 barrel?  What front sight works best if I get a peep for this barrel.  Thanks for any info.

I'd like to keep this gun as light as possible.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 45 lc rebarrel
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 05:23:49 AM »
Both the 45 Colt BC carbine barrel barrel and the 410/45Colts are 20" long, the 22" 45LC barrel in the acc list is a typo. The 45-70 barrel is ~.800" at the muzzle, the Colt carbine barrel is ~.715" at the muzzle, beside being 2" shorter, it's a lighter contour. The 45-70 barrel uses a screw to mount the front sight, the Colt barrel is dovetailed front and rear, so they won't use the same sights, although it is drilled and tapped for a scope mount or Williams peep, can't really help ya on the front sight, but the Peep and Firesights link in the FAQs shows what's needed for the 45-70 barrel.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 08:17:08 AM »
I would really like to get a 45 LC Handi but any caliber .275 or over is not permitted where I live. I think the 45 LC is the ideal bush gun. Oh well I'll just have to be satisfied with blasting away with my 270 Weatherby magnum. It's much safer that way isn't it?

Mc

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:31:45 AM »
I don't intent to hijack this thread.  I would love to own a .45lc and that will be on my list someday.  But I can't help but comment on the fact that McLernon's government thinks that he is a safe person with a .270 but owning a .308 might turn him into a dangerous raving loonie.  Or could it be that when they decide to pick up the REST of the guns, that a .270 is less likely to penitrate body armor than a .308?
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 10:06:24 AM »
Gun laws in Canada have always been a political 'football' especially after a shooting death of any kind. Its unfortunate that the laws are incomprehensible but I don't see them changing anytime soon except perhaps to add to the stupidity by banning all handguns. Part of life in Canada I guess?

Mc

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 02:19:29 PM »
Can't wait.  I got my BC 45/70 frame ready to ship in tuesdays mail to get 45lc barrel.  I'm going to use a peep rear and replace the front with an extra globe from an improperly sighted barrel.  I would really like to have a conversion done to 454 afterward or 460.  But I'm waiting on Tim's posts first to find out how and where. ::)

I'll be getting a ML barrel too!!!!  If they got one. :D

JerryKo
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »
They have SS Huntsman barrels for sure, priced the same as blued. ;D

I sent 4D an email today to see if Fred has the 460 reamer yet or knows when he'll get it, as soon as he gets one, I'll send the barrel to Wayne for a rechamber. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain