Author Topic: Seating bullet to cannulure question?  (Read 862 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Seating bullet to cannulure question?
« on: November 12, 2007, 11:27:32 AM »
Bought some Flat nose 139 gr. 7mm bullets.  The factory COL is way Short of 2.80 for a 7mm-08.  I have seated them at .284 (7mm) and the cannulure is still well above the case neck.  From the bottom of the bullet to the cannulure is .460.

Can I, or should I,  seat this bullet to the cannulure?  Will it still be safe?  The distance from the bottom to the cannulure is a little less (about .440) on my Hornady interlock 154 gr, but they fall within COL when seated right at the cannulure.

These babies are short.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline GREYGHOSTt

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Seating bullet to cannulure question?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:30:25 PM »
Bullet seating is a mixture of best accuracy and mag. fit and reliable feeding..
third eye blinds the other two.

Offline davem270win

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:00:59 PM »
You don't need to seat to the cannelure, long as you're not crimping. And if you want to crimp, a Lee crimp die will crimp anywhere.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 02:05:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply Greyghost,

I'm shooting this in a Handi rifle and TC encore so mag fit is not an issue.  Isn't  the cannulure the crimp point on the bullet for the case?  Because after seating the bullet at .284 when I insert it in the chamber and close it, it seems to be touching the rifling, moves the bullet in .020 or .030 more. 

So without figuring how far of the lands I am, I just thought I could seat to the cannulure ring.  It would move me well away from the lands.  Then I could move out from there.  Just beginning to develop a load from this bullet.

Thanks,
Bobby

Offline GREYGHOSTt

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:46:08 PM »
if upon chambering the bullet gets pushed back .020 just seat it there in the first place and you should be in the ball game of obtaining the correct seating depth for best accuracey .
although some times bullets like to have a small jump in to the lands this is something you will have to experament with to see where this particular bullet, rifle, load, likes to be seated.
third eye blinds the other two.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »
Bobby

Need a little more info , which bullet are you using ? the Hornady 137 grain flat base ? and what powder and charge are you using ?

If so you can seat to the cann. if your not using a powder charge that may be compressed by seating that deep , some powders have nasty pressure spikes when compressed .

If your seating it .284 deep and your pushing the bullet into the case another .030 you have definatly hit the lands . try some seated at the cann. if you have the case cap. and see how they work out . you can go out from there in .010 increases till you find were they shoot best .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:39:41 PM »
Stimpy,

The bullets are bargin bulk from midway.  They are 139 grain flat-nose with a flat base.  I'm loading 42.5 grains of Win748.  I have some BL- C2, but have not found a good load for it yet.   No it is not compressed, have a good bit of room in the case.

You did answer my question though.  Just wanted to be sure I could seat to the cannulure and work out from there.

Thanks,
Bobby