Author Topic: Another 45-70 range report with new sights  (Read 512 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Another 45-70 range report with new sights
« on: November 13, 2007, 01:26:10 PM »
I got a Williams WGRS and a .150" Twilight Aperture and installed them on my Handi-Rifle. I had the factory sights dead on at 50 yards so I adjusted the peep until it lined up with the sights. I was going to order a fiber optic front sight but I painted the face of the front sight with white enamel paint (Testers model car paint) and I really like it. It shows up great in low light and as long as I don't go polar bear hunting the white sight will contrast good on the game I intend to hunt.
My first shot at 50 yards with the new peep was right in the bullseye. I raised the peep a little and shot again. This shot was at the top of the bull. I then shot 3 times at 100 yards and walked over to check it out. It was about a three inch group and just a tad high. I was happy with the group and the large aperture sight I was using. I went back to the bench, lowered the peep just a fuzz and shot three more. These 3 shots went into 2.5" and I was once again happy because I new this was plenty good for whitetails at that distance. All of this shooting was with Winchester 300 grain JHP ammo.
I had some factory Federal 300 grain ammo and shot three shots at 100 yards with it. I walked over to the target and almost flipped out. The group was a few inches lower on the target but it measured only 11/16" center to center of the two farthest holes. I know this was probably just an accident but I was absolutely tickled to death! Alot of guns that cost 2 or three times as much with high power optics wont shoot that well.
I really like my Handi and can't wait to break it in on a whitetail!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Another 45-70 range report with new sights
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 01:34:49 PM »
Sounds great, you're another very happy 45-70 H&R owner, the only kind I've ever read about, I don't think anyone has ever been disapponted in their 45-70 Handi or BC. ;) Not the first time the Federal 45-70 ammo has been praised too, it's good stuff with a good bullet, hope to hear a kill report from ya. :)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nebrguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:13:20 AM »
Slufoot, I too have a Handi in 45-70 and have taken several nice whitetails with it and my handloads. Though I have just used the factory sights, i've contemplated putting on the Williams peep.  Were you able to still use the factory front sight that came with your Handi  with the Williams peep ?  Many have said that a higher front sight must be used. Also, after you sighted in the peep, did you have to remove the factory rear sight & if so, any difficulty ? Thanks...

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »
Hello nebrguy,
Yes, I used the factory front sight although I painted the blade with white enamel paint. Lined up at 100 yards with Winchester 300 grain factory ammo the Williams peep sight is only half a mark below center adjustment. This tells me the front sight is the perfect height for this load.
I removed the rear sight before firing the gun with the peep, but I used the rear sight to line up the peep before taking the rear sight off. When using a peep you don't want the rear sight on the gun blocking your field of view.
Also, the filler screws that I had to remove to install the peep sight I used to fill the two holes were the rear sight was. The rear sight was very simple to remove, just two screws and it was off.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot