Author Topic: Full Scale Tredegar mortar, by Dom of Carpenter Replica Artillery  (Read 2405 times)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
 Got my full scale 12pd- 4.62" bore Tredegar Mortar from Dom today!!!! The UPS man left it in the yard, don't blame him for not putting it on the porch, the box had 110 lbs stamped on it. Thanks Dom, you did a great job on making it!!!! now i got to find time to make the base for it, my winter projects are stacking up ;D here's a couple of pics, look how small the Dictator golf ball mortar(also by Dom) looks next to the full size tube ;D ;D ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Re: Full Scale Tredegar mortar, by Dom of Carpenter Replica Artillery
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 06:32:47 PM »
B O O M   
I will be looking forward to seeing this one., Congrats to you both ! ! ! 

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:09:56 PM »
Lance,

I have a ball mould!  But you should be able to come up with 6 PDR ball where you are.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »
6 pounder shot will be a little loose in a full bore mortar.    ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 01:24:31 AM »
>full scale 12pd- 4.62" bore Tredegar Mortar

I'm sure it will work fine at typical target-shooting ranges like 100-200 yards.

Is it the perspective, or is it my eyes, or are the trunnions on this a lot smaller diameter than the original surviving 12-pdr. Confederate mortar?

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 01:39:48 AM »
Lance, You're welcome! Good to see you received it ok and thanks again for your order!  Dom

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 05:31:26 AM »
Aw yes, 6 a.m., no  glasses and no coffee. 6 PDR in a 12 PDR bore.  I know I preach that windage is a safety factor, but that is a bit much.  So where is the smily with egg on my face?

My drawing shows the C12 PDR Tredagar has a  2 1/2 in diameter trunnion.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 12:16:59 PM »
The trunion on Lance's barrel is 2" diameter.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »
>The trunion on Lance's barrel is 2" diameter.

That ought to be fine, remembering the original Confederate item is made of weaker cast iron, and the one pictured is steel.  For some reason the perspective of the picture made me think it was smaller than 2" diameter.

Offline lance

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 03:26:12 PM »

the original surviving 12-pdr. Confederate mortar?
Cannonmn, do you have any pics of that mortar?  one of the books in my Civil War collection is the book from: The Virginia Civil War Battles and Leaders Series- The Petersburg Campaign, The Battle of The Crater "The Horrid Pit" June 25-August 6,1864.............very long book title! anyway there is a picture of the Confederate mortar from Capt. Lamkins Battery used at the Crater. the mortar is located on the Courthouse Green at Amelia,Va. it's just the tube mounted on a rock with a brass plaque. anyway, the book states Capt. Lamkin used 12pd mortars at the Crater. I've never had time to stop there and measure that mortar, have you seen it? I've always wondered if it's "The 12pd'er"

Offline lance

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
 I just took a pic of the pic in my book, here it is........

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 10:44:26 PM »
I've never had time to stop there and measure that mortar, have you seen it? I've always wondered if it's "The 12pd'er"

Olmstead, Stark... book The Big Guns, pp. 15 has some information.  The piece at Amelia CH is one of five known 24-pounder Confederate mortars.

The book says: 

Five somewhat similar but unmarked 24-pounder cast iron Confederate Coehorns are known, as was one of 12-pounder size once West Point old Trophy no. 190. 

Offline lance

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 02:28:48 PM »
 Cannonmn, a BIG THANKS for the info!!!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 05:00:15 PM »
the mortar is located on the Courthouse Green at Amelia,Va. it's just the tube mounted on a "rock" with a brass plaque. anyway, the book states Capt. Lamkin used 12pd mortars at the Crater. I've never had time to stop there and measure that mortar, have you seen it? I've always wondered if it's "The 12pd'er"

Lance,

Maybe that's the original mount..... You know them Southern (Confederate) boys were very creative..... ;D ;D ;D Just think it won't recoil much... :D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline lance

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 05:16:12 PM »
the mortar is located on the Courthouse Green at Amelia,Va. it's just the tube mounted on a "rock" with a brass plaque. anyway, the book states Capt. Lamkin used 12pd mortars at the Crater. I've never had time to stop there and measure that mortar, have you seen it? I've always wondered if it's "The 12pd'er"

Lance,

Maybe that's the original mount..... You know them Southern (Confederate) boys were very creative..... ;D ;D ;D Just think it won't recoil much... :D

;D ;D ;D Hey!!! didn't think of that, me gots lot's of rocks, will save time and lumber too! ;D ;D ;D

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 07:32:31 PM »
Lance,

Hey, I'm just trying to help you out. This rock idea will also take care of your Shooting Platform issues too....... Just be sure to make a good flat spot on top...... :D :D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Stuffy25thIA

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »
Hope you don't mind me asking, but what does something like your 12 PDR cost?
I have a nice siege motor made during the late 50's already, shoots tomato paste cans, but would like something a little bigger.
First liar doesn't stand a chance!

Offline lance

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 03:48:28 PM »
Lance,

Hey, I'm just trying to help you out. This rock idea will also take care of your Shooting Platform issues too....... Just be sure to make a good flat spot on top...... :D :D

well since my projects are adding up i think i'll just make a big combo. i'll put a rock on a couple of fence posts, that will take care of the "snow sled" then mortar on front, cannon on back? i don't know, i'll figure something out ;D ;D ;D

Offline lance

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 04:03:51 PM »
Hope you don't mind me asking, but what does something like your 12 PDR cost?
I have a nice siege motor made during the late 50's already, shoots tomato paste cans, but would like something a little bigger.
I don't mind you asking the price, but Dom might ring my neck........... i was kinda worried that he would come down here and take the golf ball Dictator away from me for loading horse apples in it ;D but he is such a good sport, that e-mails back and fourth about building the 12pdr. he wrote that i should be able to shoot a whole canister of horse apples out of the 12pdr ;D ;D ;D anyway, PM or e-mail Dom, he's a great guy and can make you a deal. I do plan on having him make a bigger one too! but i need to finish this one first ;D ;D ;D

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 02:39:22 PM »

As I recall, that's a great mortar that you have Jim.  Don't forget me, if/when you ever get rid of it.  Now I'm really more into mortars than cannons.  Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

:)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Stuffy25thIA

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 03:34:17 AM »
I remember Blaster, your first on the list.  Hows everything been with you lately?  Did you make it to Tulsa a couple weeks ago?  I didn't make the trip myself.

As I recall, that's a great mortar that you have Jim.  Don't forget me, if/when you ever get rid of it.  Now I'm really more into mortars than cannons.  Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

:)
First liar doesn't stand a chance!

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 04:00:10 AM »
Sorry to be kinda hijacking this thread but yes Jim, I did attend the Wanenmacher Tulsa Gun Show a couple weeks ago.  Had a table and didn't really sell very much.  I did manage to sell my 1.25-inch bore six pounder.  Didn't see but a couple BP canon or mortars at the show.  The couple that I did view were so dang expensive that I just kept on walking.  A lot of folks were searching for fuse and I didn't see much of that either.  Kansas Cannon Works was there at their usual location.  "Keep your powder dry".  Blaster :)

Offline lance

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »
 Blaster, no need to feel sorry about hijacking, i'm easy to get along with and consider everyone friends :) as a side note: i've yet to catch anyone on the phone at SBR. kinda want to find the total cost, kinda hard to guess price increases and shipping charges ya know ;D that's alright, got lot's of work to keep me busy with the new mortar. got to order handles, find some lumber, make the rest of the hardware, figure out what color i want to paint the base, work, work, work ;D ;D ;D

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 02:03:50 PM »
lance, when you do finally get someone on the phone at SBR, it'll most likely be Paul Barnett.  He is the President of the Company and will be well qualified to give you a good approximate cost for the shipping of your Dahlgren.  I believe he was within a buck or two on mine.  If you don't already have one, be sure to get their most recent catalog too.  It contains a lot of information and good pictures.  Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
Hey Lance
I'm back.  That is a nice mortar.  Hope to see it at a cannon show one day.  What type of sled are you going to make?
Doc

Offline lance

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 03:55:48 PM »
Hey Lance
I'm back.  That is a nice mortar.  Hope to see it at a cannon show one day.  What type of sled are you going to make?
Doc
Hey Doc, good to have ya back! I plan to make the light weight trench assault sled....... that name is good as any, i guess. i've got the choice of big kiln dried planks of Oak, Maple,and Hickory. kinda leaning towards the Hickory. then i got to figure if i want to paint the sled and which color. If i don't like the color, i can always PM Dom and get another one and start all over ;D ;D ;D

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 05:04:02 PM »
light weight trench assault sled.......
Now that is a good a name as any, to get them banned as a black gun.  I never found any historical references to that type of sled.  Didn't you tell me you might be on to something that might be real documentation.
Doc

Offline lance

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »
 I contacted the 21st Alabama, but never got a reply. the 21st might not be the guy's with the green ones, but it was the only link i was given. i'll always keep digging, either way i like the sled. when i get this one done, i'll probably get a bigger one and make a solid block base. they will make a nice looking display. so you're saying i should paint the sled black ;D