Author Topic: Is this brass reloadable and shootable in 223 Handi  (Read 347 times)

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
Is this brass reloadable and shootable in 223 Handi
« on: November 17, 2007, 06:28:49 AM »
I found a bunch of brass at the range that is stamped with a + with a circle around it and some of the brass is stamped LC  and some is stamped WCC  and it's stamped with different years ranging from 85 to 07.  I would like to know if I can reload it for a 223 handi barrel that I might have to buy because of all the brass I've found.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Is this brass reloadable and shootable in 223 Handi
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:46:07 AM »
Most likely it is.  Some military brass has the primers crimped in, so that is a slight problem.  Some cases are steel, or plastic, that is a bigger problem.  It would be best for you to pick one head stamp and use it to develope your loads. Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 06:51:35 AM »
I don't reload but I hear the LC brass is some of the best and sought after. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
throw out any steel or plastic cases you run into. Sort them by head stamp; same year, same Manufacturer. Like was said, military cases will be crimped in. Those will be a little tougher to push out primers with. I use a punch and block out of a Lee reloading Kit for this purpose. Then you will need to remove the crimp left behind. Then full length size them. From there you can reload as normal. A new load will have to be developed for each head stamp, they do vary that much. Good luck to you.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 12:07:23 PM »
The circled + is the NATO stamp.  Rcbs sells a nice brass swage tool but unless you are reloading alot of military brass it may not pay.  The LC (Lake City) brass like most military brass is often thicker walled.  If you reload this brass stay away from max loads since they do not have the same case volume and will cause higher pressure.  You can check the capacity of the military vs commercial by filling a military case with water then pouring it into a commercial case.  The commercial case "should" have a larger volume (but not by much).
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.