Author Topic: Blackpowder 45-70 & 500gr bullets  (Read 313 times)

Offline blackpowderbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Blackpowder 45-70 & 500gr bullets
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:32:30 AM »
Question from a new guy
I am currently loading a 500 grain cast bullet over 13.2 gr of unique. Do you feel this is a viable hunting load for small eastern whitetail?
The launcher is a standard Handirifle with a 1 power Weaver K1 mounted.
  I am planning on returning to real gunpowder as soon as I can get a supply of Graf's Schwartzpulver black powder, it's very clean burning and gave fine accuracy with that bullet.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:38:12 AM »
Question from a new guy
I am currently loading a 500 grain cast bullet over 13.2 gr of unique. Do you feel this is a viable hunting load for small eastern whitetail?
The launcher is a standard Handirifle with a 1 power Weaver K1 mounted.
  I am planning on returning to real gunpowder as soon as I can get a supply of Graf's Schwartzpulver black powder, it's very clean burning and gave fine accuracy with that bullet.

I've never used that load or bullet...so I can't tell you if it is a good candidate for a hunting load...I know many folks swear by cast bullets at slow velocities out of the 45-70...I am not one of them...My 1 & only cast load is a Cast Performance 405 grain WLNGC...and my start loads for it goes 1850 fps...to much higher...I want a load that will kill humanely out to 200 yards with as flat of trajectory as I can get...I normally use bullets that hold together and yet expand...This season I used the Hornady L.E. ammo...It got my deer...but...didn't give the performance I like...The Nosler Partition...or the Speer Uni-Core...start them out at 1800fps...or 2450fps...will give you an outstanding 150 yard-250 yard whitetail load...which will anchor a deer large or small with dramatic results..Just because the cartridge comes before the turn of the century...doesn't mean I have to use it as that...With the right loads...it will take the smallest to largest animals walking...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Escalante

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:37:31 AM »
Blackpowderbill.
In answer to your question. I have killed elk with a 500 grain cast bullet at about 1300 fps. The elk dropped
right where it stood. Last year I killed a cow elk with a cast 405 grain bullet. She turned 360 degrees and
dropped.  No meat ruined on either elk. Neither elk was over 150 yards away.
Rich.

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 05:17:55 AM »
Thanks for the input. :) This year I hear my employer is giving a good bonus, I think I shall send my reciever back to H&R and get a few new barrels. Perhaps 30-30 and .357 mag. Opinions are welcome.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Blackpowder 45-70 & 500gr bullets
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:34:51 AM »
Welcome aboard Bill! ;) Here's a great article on blackpowder used in a 45-70 Handi. ;) Lots more good stuff in the FAQs and Help too.

Tim

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain