Author Topic: Shave hammer down?  (Read 459 times)

Offline misterguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Shave hammer down?
« on: November 17, 2007, 06:12:26 AM »
Hi,
It's me again.  Got the rifle got the rings.  Just one problem.  I have a bushnell sportsman (I thought It was a trophy :-\) and the thing has a great big ocular lens. The rings are medium.  And the hammer just barley touches the scope.  If I shave the hammer down to the extension it will give me about 1/8" clearance.  Should I just get Higher rings? ???  The height of the scope is about perfect and I can see through it comfortably.  My dad was thinking I would loose a bit of distance with higher rings. 

Thanks ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Shave hammer down?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:14:23 AM »
See the Low Profile Hammer mods in the FAQs, you can trim the hammer a lot, just make sure the hammer extension clears the barrel release button.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline misterguy

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 07:27:26 AM »
Thanks Tim.  My dad said to put a thin rubber layer under the rail mount.  This and a little bit of a scope positioning gives me close to 1/8" clearance.  Reaching the hammer is a little awkward and I'm still considering shaving off a bit and not replacing the extension.  This will give me about 1/4" clearance but for now it should do!  I'll probably put my first rounds through it tonight or tomorrow.  Then again maybe one of those nice gold hammers would be pretty good.  Maybe for Christmas.  I must say this place has everything about everything to do with these little guns.

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »
Using a rubber shim between the rail and barrel is not a good idea, you want the base to be mounted solid to the barrel or you'll have severe accuracy issues. Either use higher rings or remove a little off the hammer spur and definately use the hammer extension. ;)

Tim

Offline misterguy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 07:56:38 AM »
Ok. Thanks.  What should I use for trimming the hammer?  Ive got a dremel.  Should I use something else?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 08:21:39 AM »
The dremel works perfect with the sanding drum, I usually trim it down flush with the top of the hammer extension if that's enough. I put the rifle in a cleaning stand, then lay a newspaper over the frame and force the hammer thru the paper, then use masking tape to seal the torn paper against the hammer, this keeps metal dust out of the frame. When you're all done, touch the hammer up with blueing, I use a Birchwood Casey touch-up pen, let it work for a minute, then neutralize with gun oil. ;)

Tim

Offline misterguy

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 05:14:22 PM »
Thanks again man!  Got it all done.  1/8" clearance.  I took a little bit of the extension off.  But looks good.  Tomorrow I'll sight her in.  Just worked the barrel in with jb paste.  I'll have a range report hopefully tomorrow! Having a little trouble finding that touch up pen but it'll be fine for now.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 05:45:18 PM »
Just buy a bottle of the Super Blue of Perma Blue if you can't find the pen, use a Q-tip to apply it after degreasing with alcohol.

Range report manditory!! ;)

Tim

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 12:07:28 AM »
Good thread guys.  This is what this site is about. 

Misterguy:  I've had very good luck with the Bushnell Sportsman line.  Between my hunting pardner and I we probably own a dozen or more in addition to other Bushnells from the Sportview to the Legend. 

Happy for your success.

As Quick said, keep us posted.