Author Topic: Making a smelter/Lead melter the best way? Advice Request.  (Read 632 times)

Offline 1longshot

• Trade Count: (0)
Making a smelter/Lead melter the best way? Advice Request.
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:45:16 PM »
I wrote in a previous post that I have about 1 ton of pure lead.  I would like to start melting it and pouring bars so that I can either sell it or use it for a mix.  My father has a stick welder and I have requested his service to make a pouring device of sorts.  I would like to know if anyone has a plan or idea for such a thing, and what should I use for the actual melting pot?

Thanks

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Making a smelter/Lead melter the best way? Advice Request.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 01:26:31 AM »
for major smelting projects i use a water heart tank that was cut in half and put a 90 degree elbow on the bottom drain hole and a pipe nipple with a brass globe valve on it. You have to make sure the valve you buy isnt plastic on the inside though. Some are. I welded legs on it that sit it up about 2 feet and build a fire under it and fill it to the top with wheel weights and the clean lead comes out the bottom and the clips float to the top. I might loose a little tin and anitmony like that as its about impossible to flux but i use most of my wws in alloys anyway and the little i loose doesnt seem to matter.
blue lives matter