Author Topic: Mini-14 Series 580 bullet weights  (Read 562 times)

Offline targshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Mini-14 Series 580 bullet weights
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:12:20 AM »
Several months ago someone asked about various bullet weights in the Ruger Mini-14. At that time I had not shot much of anything except Wolf 55 gr loads in the rifles. Now I can report on the following fired in the Mini-14 Series 580 stainless wood stocked rifle.
Wolf 62 grain HP:
This rifle likes this load, giving just under 2 MOA except for the occasional Wolf flier (perhaps one in 15 or so), which can turn it into a 2.5 MOA group. This is with 5 shots over 5 minutes. The rifle shoots this about .5 MOA tighter than the Wolf 55 grain FMJ load.
The following load was worked up for my Arms Tech URS (AR 15 derivative) rifle; which drops them inside .5MOA, all the time, every time.
69 grain Sierra MatchKing HPBT over 25.5 grains of Winchester 748 in Winchester "White Box" brass with Remington Benchrest primers. The Ruger is giving just under 1.5 MOA at 100 yards, with 5 shot strings allowing 1 minute between shots.  No flyers.
Both the Arms Tech and Ruger have 1:9 rifling, except that the URS has gain twist polygonal rifling.