Author Topic: Which caliber to buy?  (Read 2621 times)

Offline bigchast1

• Trade Count: (0)
Which caliber to buy?
« on: January 20, 2008, 09:56:31 AM »
As soon as my permit gets back(one week wait) I am going to buy one of the new Springfield XD pistols.  I have narrowed it down to two possible calibers, the 357 Sig or the 40 cal.  What are your opinions on these or should I get a 9mm or 45ACP.  The primary use will be to carry on trips and on off road riding.  Around here the 357 ammo is no as easy to come by as the others, so that ways some cause I can always reload.  Thanks for y'alls help Chad

Offline glockman55

• Avid Poster
Re: Which caliber to buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »
The 357 will kick more in a short barreled revolver.
Glock 23  http://obamaclock.org/
Sig. Ultra Compact 1911
Sig. P-232
Sig. P-238

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Any of the calibers that you mention should serve you well in your intended role. As you mentioned, .357 Sig ammo isn't as available as the others. With today's loads, the 9mm is a better choice than ever. However, I'd stick with the .40 or .45. I big bullet is a big bullet, and you can buy or reload cheap practice ammo in .45ACP. It's been the Gold Standard defense round for almost 100 years.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 04:55:23 PM »
357 mag ,although i love the round ,out of a short barrel , you may find yourself deaf.
Years ago i would also say 9mm ,and some of the guns are getting fairly small.
But most 9mm pistols are just as small as a 40S&W anymore.
And some of them are as small as a Walther PPK.
45ACP is getting very small also ,but still fat.
A lot of people who want an all around gun are getting the IMI baby Eagle compact in 40S&W.
It cost as much as the Springfield and it has a steel frame.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:52:36 PM »
The bigger the hole, the better the hole. If you're going auto, the .45 ACP is the way to go. If your life is ever on the line, I doubt you'll say to yourself, "Gee, I wish I had a smaller gun."
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
Between the two choices you have provided I would vote for the 40.  Personally I carry the 45 ACP.

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »
You'll never find total agreement on this topic.  All the rounds you mentioned are good options, each having their own (+) and (-).

I personally use a .40 S&W, and .357, and occasionally a .380 as my minimum choice.  I don't have a 9mm, but it has world wide appeal.  So it must have something going for it. 

I want to try a .357 sig because it's basically a 9mm pushed by a .40 S&W case.  Ballistically, it looks good and has good penetration.  Plus, it's supposed to have better accuracy than a standard 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP.

Offline 22rimfan

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 08:00:08 AM »
I have the 4" XD in 40.  Love it and carry it with me.  I, personally, don't like 9's.  If you do and want one, then get it by all means since this is going to be your gun.  I just like the 40 and in one year of shooting it has not let me down.
Aaron
Anyone who claims the 30-06 doesn't work has either not tried it or is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

Offline animal

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »
I use a .357 S & W model 60. I'll probably pick up a semi and it will be a 45. A couple up the road just had their door kicked in by a couple armed 260 pounders at 11:00 am and robbed in their own home. No one hurt, physically anyways. In that situation I'd fee lbetter with bigger than a 9 mm.
Animal

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 07:36:29 PM »
I vote for the .45 acp.I carry a M & P .45 most of the time loaded with 230 gr jhp home grown,10 + 1.If I can't stop it with that,I wasn't going to anyway.............Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
Get the Sig P229 and have both.  Buy it in the .40, and order, or pick-up later a .357 Sig barrel, then you can switch at will.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 05:52:05 PM »
I am of the opinion that everybody should have three of every kind. ::)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline colocowboy76

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »
Being new to this board I am surprised that most people haven't figure out that the best round for you is the one that you can shoot well.  If you can shoot a 45 well then get a 45, but if you shoot best with a 9mm get a 9.  If you can't hit 100% of the time with a gun it does you no good, no matter how big and scary it looks. 

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »
I would go with the .40, but like selecting a wife, it is your choice.  Which do you like best the blond or the redhead?

Offline BRADFORDcoHUNTER

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
 Between the 2 calibers you suggested, I'd opt for the 40 S&W for a few reasons. Mainly availability, price, and choices of ammo. I have been a devout 40 S&W carrier for about 15 years now. Mainly because back then, the 9mm was still lacking in the stopping power dept. I was left a few choices as I saw it: Carry a pistol with 17+ rounds of 9mm and risk having to use a bunch of them to put and keep an assailant down, or maybe go 45 ACP and only have 8 rounds, in a big heavy single stack package that was hard to conceal well. The 40 S&W bridged the gap between the two, in both stopping power and ammo capacity.

My first CCW was a Glock 23 with tritium sights. I have since carried others as CCW's, but have settled in with a Springfield XD 40 SC. I am quite partial to the latest generation of XD pistols, and I highly recommend them. You may also want to reconsider today's 9mm as an option, as now they are being loaded much more effectively and in a broader range of stopping power options. Heck, even the 38 special is now a serious CCW option, if used with +P ammo. I also agree with being effective with the intended caliber. It all means NOTHING, if you can't hit what you need to with it. The 45 ACP in some of the smaller pistols, is a bit too much recoil for some. The same can be said of the 40 S&W in a sub compact, shooting 180 gr bullets....for some, it's just a bit too "snappy."

I guess it all boils down to need, experience, and relying on others' experiences. Some people are recoil shy, and that effects how they shoot in general, let alone under duress. On the other hand, some people can carry and effectively shoot 357 snubs, titanium 38 snubbie's with +P ammo, and some headcases even pack a 44 mag snubbie for concealed carry. (I'm guilty of that...lol) Seriously though...many gun ranges will now rent you guns to shoot. Perhaps you should try a few calibers out first, and see what suits you best. You are ALWAYS going to be better off with the caliber you are most confident and comfortable shooting. Good luck!

Offline Hafast

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 03:00:57 AM »
I do not remember where I heard this, but it influenced my choice of carry caliber.

"A small caliber bullet might expand, but a 45 will never shrink."
I was not born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 04:03:28 AM »
Please.Please,Please  do not buy a weapon to defend your life with, UNTIL you have fired the one you are leaning toward. Way to many people jump out and buy a 319 Jones Planet wrecker, with whizbang lasers,nite sites,custom holster etc; only to find out that they are much better with a  9mm or 38 Special.You are getting good info from the people on this site ,but you must do your homework.Just my2C.  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Down South

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »
All of the calibers that you mentioned will be fine. What I would recommend is the biggest that you can carry comfortable. That not only includes caliber but pistol. Too. I carry a .38 sub nose. I have several carry pieces from 9MM to .40. The bigger compact autos can be hard to conceal in summer wear. I do carry my S&W PC Shorty 40 a lot in cooler weather with a Kramer IWB holster. Most of the time I find myself carrying my S&W 642 in a Mika Pocket holster with a couple speed strips. It’s just easy to conceal and comfortable to carry. Being comfortable is important. If it’s not you’ll find yourself leaving it on top of the dresser more than you are carrying it.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »
I don't know if you have purchased your planned gun yet but if you haven't then there is always another way to go. If you buy the XD in .40 or .357 sig then you can always buy the other barrel for it and then you will have both to shoot as the magazines are interchangeable. I had a sig pro and it came orginally in .40 but I bought the .357 barrel for it and never regretted it. I only regret having sold it. I do own the XD in .45 and I love it but would trade it to get my Sig back just because it was so versatile.

Navylawdog

Offline animal

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »
I like the .38 and 9mm because they are effective enough to get ya out of trouble while providing the lowest cost to practice and in a gun small enough to carry easily.
Animal

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
 get an plain holster and borrow an  big gun.. carry it 2 weeks,.. i mean at work, at play ,,anytime you are out... then make the decision..after you do that ..you can make an better educated decision..jmo theres a lot more smack in the light wt smaller guns these days..

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
I would go with the 40 S&W.  For three reasons.

1 the ammo is cheaper and that would give you more to practice with on a budget.  and almost every store I walk into has both target and defense 40 ammo on the shelf.  Not so with the 357 Sig

2 there are more loads for the 40.  Wider variety and you can pick one for the short barrel that will work for you.

3 I don't think the short barrel of the compact auto will generate the velocity the 357 Sig is known for.  If you can't throw it really fast then chuck a brick slowly. 

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »
Personally I am not a big fan of the .40
I think the .45 is a good choice.
I do really like the .38 super.
In a small framed auto I like the .38 super or .45
In a large framed auto---which I personally prefer---either will do the job.
Now I don't walk around with anything 24/7 or even 8 too 10 hours a day---maybe three or four hours, tops---so I can't find a legitimate reason for a smaller one except when concealment is an issue then it is a pocket job.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »
I have two 40's.   One is a S&W 410 stainless and laser sights. Other is an XD 40 in 4" barrel.  I personally love the 40's over other calibers, but that is a personal opinion.  Both can be concealed when carried but are a bit larger. I just bought a new compact XD 9MM and I am really happy with both XD's.   Not so happy with the Smith.  Just does not fit me as well as the XD's do. Again each person will have their own preferences.    I did find all of these guns to be more than adequate for accuracy! The XD 9 Compact is really a better concealed carry gun for me!

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »
  my advice is to carry a toy gun with wts on it ,in the small of your back ,on shoulder or just in hip holster[ borrow a real gun for this so as to stay alive] if you can get use to the wt and it being there ..
  :) then no doubt the 40 or 45 caliber w 4 inch barrel might be your best choice .
 but if you decide you would rather just carry in pocket.. there are several guns out there with adequate
 power for protection.. good luck

Offline Molly

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 06:11:42 PM »
My two cents:

I used to be a big bore pistol fan, and had nothing but scorn for the guys who packed little .32 and even 25 ACP pistols.  My favorite carry was a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog, and I could keep five consecutive shots in a paper plate at a solid 50 yards with it.

But I've been through what appears to be an unusually high number of confrontations:  I've stopped three rapes, several robberies and a number of associated unpleasant situations that came to an abrupt end when I entered the picture.  And know what?  I have yet to shoot anyone, though I would have been legally justified several times.  I'm quite sure that is largely because I made it abundantly clear that I was GOING to do so - and bloody quick - unless something changed in a hurry.

I have found a handgun - ANY handgun - to be an outstanding communicator.  It is multi-cultural and multi-lingual.  It is NEVER misunderstood.  In my experience, anyone who has received its message will be an instant convert to peace and mutual regard.  They will go from a gang of drunken thugs to some of the most civil people you could ever hope to meet.  They will sit when where and how you tell them to sit.  They will occupy their spare time hoping that you decide to call the cops.  They will spend the REST of their spare time wondering just what the devil is taking those cops so long to get there.  And they are so concerned about your good opinion of them that they will never even think of doing anything that might offend you in the slightest - particularly if you smile at them and suggest they try to run ...

That said, I also find that it is true even if the barrel they are staring down is not big enough to crawl into.  And I find that I am far more likely to have a lightweight KelTec 380 in my pocket than a .44 that tries to pull my pants off all the time.  Yes, the 44 is much more reliable than the 380 as an academic exercise.  But in practice, you will find the 380 in your hand is far more reliable in a troublesome situation than the 44 left in the car or on the dresser at home.

We all make our choices, and we all have to live with the consequences.  This is my choice, my reasoning and my logic. 

Molly

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »
I like my 357 ., I practice with it quite a bit and use 38's while I am doing that. Then  I load it with 357 hollow-points for carry. I think its big enough and accurate enough. These old eyes cant take a poker chip at 50 feet but they can hit a paper plate., most people are larger than a paper plate. It works for me. I would have to go with colocowboy76 statement ., Well said sir.
Being new to this board I am surprised that most people haven't figure out that the best round for you is the one that you can shoot well.  If you can shoot a 45 well then get a 45, but if you shoot best with a 9mm get a 9.  If you can't hit 100% of the time with a gun it does you no good, no matter how big and scary it looks. 

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »
find a commercial range that rents pistols. try everything you think you might like. then pick the one you shoot the best in the largest caliber you can handle.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson