Author Topic: New H&R Ultra Slug Hunter w/ cleaning and shooting question  (Read 848 times)

Offline kipsbay

• Trade Count: (0)
New H&R Ultra Slug Hunter w/ cleaning and shooting question
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:51:24 AM »
Hi all.....it's been a while since I've owned a slug gun.....had a few thru the years....Ithica 37, Rem. 1100 w/ a Hastings etc.
I've been using a muzzle loader now for the past 12 years or so....knight disc and now a TC ProHunter.

My question is.....I've just bought a new H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 12ga.....what is the best procedure with shooting this gun and cleaning....??
Should I clean in between shots....clean after a session at the range.....should I use a similar pattern as I do w/ my muzzle loader and run a brush thru the barrel and a patch between shots to keep the barrel in a consistent somewhat clean status.

I'm really interested in what each of you do to maintain consistency and the best possible accuracy.....??

Thanks in advance......JOHN

Offline chad1043

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: New H&R Ultra Slug Hunter w/ cleaning and shooting question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:07:25 AM »
Don't worry... Quick will be here soon.. I don't have a Slug Barrel YET, but I'm sure someone will be glad to help... BTW, welcome to a great forum...

Chad

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:14:02 AM »
 my 20 guage USH took 20 rounds before it wood group, so I wont be cleaning the bore too much. I will take it apart & wipe it down real good before I put it away. :next week:
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:39:02 AM »
The rounds I use (Rem 3" Copper Solids) shoot quite clean, so I don't normally clean the barrel during the season.  I test fired some 2-3/4" Rem Core-Lokt, and they were very dirty so I ran a dry patch through the barrel to get the remains out.

At the end of the season I take the forestock and barrel off the stock and wipe everything down and put a film of oil on the metal and grease where it seems it might need it.  I run a dry patch down the barrel and then an oily one.  I don't recall needing solvent on a patch.  As we near deer season, I put a few rounds through it to make sure it's still holding zero (it always has) and then wait for a deer to get within ~100yds. so that I can eat it.  I find it to be very accurate, very potent, and very easy to maintain.  My kind of firearm :)

If only it were very cheap to shoot...

I hope this helps...

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:59:12 PM »
My 12 ga USH does not like a clean barrel.
First shot always seems an inch or so high after cleaning or running a bore snake though it.

My routine is to foul the barrel with the first shot.
Adjust scope after 2nd and 3rd shot if necessary.
Clean it after the season is over.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:58:27 PM »
Before you even fire it lap the barrel, mine was really ruff. The smoother you get the rifling the less plastic fouling you will get. At the bench I clean with Hoppe's #9 Bench Rest every five rounds, it works great on plastic!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:22:03 PM »
My 20ga USH likes to be dirty too. It won't be cleaned until after the season is over. I don't even shoot the first round into my target each fall, it will only discourage you. My USH was sighted in back in 2003, and this fall it stacked them up 2" high at 100, right where it should be.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline kipsbay

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 06:00:33 AM »
My gun seems to like a clean barrel.....and it likes the Remington copper solids....only tried them in 2 3/4"...but I will say they are grouping very well......better than the ballistics on the box say.....I'm at 2 - 2 1/2 high at 50 yds and about 1" high at 100 w/ tight groups . I will stick with them for now.