Author Topic: Pistol for the wife  (Read 682 times)

Offline Power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
Pistol for the wife
« on: June 17, 2003, 05:38:19 AM »
She really wants a 9mm auto but since I already shoot and load a 40 I'd rather get her a pistol in that cal. What do you all recommend for a pistol for her? She flinches when shooting the 40 so I don't want to get her a bigger caliber-should I just get her a 9mm in a small-frame auto?
-Power

Offline jamie

• Contributor
Pistol for the wife
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 09:18:05 AM »
If she flinches when she shoots the .40 then she won't want to shoot it often so get her a 9mm in a gun that fits her hand.  Take her to a shop and let her touch 10 guns that she likes then throw out the junk ones and what is left will be what she wants to have and what you think is suitable to own.  Oh, might as start with a Sig P239 in 9mm,  it will save you some time.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
Pistol for the wife
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 12:47:41 PM »
Three things she will want in a handgun. 1. the gun not kick too hard 2. it fit her hand 3. be something she will carry if that's the purpose of the handgun. Dave

Offline wildman

• Avid Poster
Pistol for the wife
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 03:19:36 PM »
Just remember to get a gun for her and not yourself.  I also had the same problem.  I thought my wife should carry a .40, 9mm, or 38 special.  She held many and guess what she found to like the most?  Okay, an old Colt model .357 revolver with 4inch barrel.  That's right, the old predecessor to the famous python.  Although she does shoot 38's in it, she also likes the full house 357's.  I would say get one that she says fits nicely, and also one that she will actually carry when needed.  If she's already flinching at the gun, try something else.  If she's new to shooting, it will be almost impossible for her to get over the fear of that particular gun.  You could always start out small and then build her up to something else when she gets the hang of throwing lead.
The intruder turns around slowly, sees both barrels, and hears a low-deep voice say "Son, the left one's iron and the right one's steel, if the left one don't get you, the right one will"

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Pistol for the wife
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 03:47:50 PM »
Have you considered the .357 SIG round?  My wife loves shooting this round, and it runs circles around the 9mm as far as performance goes.  I personally do not think that it kicks as bad as my .40, although it is a little more noticable than the 9mm.  The SIG Pro 2340 has interchangeable grips (I keep the smaller diameter "smooth" grips on it for my girl to shoot).  I don't have any experience with the Glocks in this round, but I know that they make a Compact and a Sub-Compact along with the full size G31.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Pistol for the wife
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 05:51:08 AM »
Have you tried downloading the 40 for her? You could start her out with light loads and if comfortable eventually work her up to more powerful loads.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Power

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
Pistol for the wife
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 01:29:28 PM »
Quote from: dakotashooter2
Have you tried downloading the 40 for her? You could start her out with light loads and if comfortable eventually work her up to more powerful loads.

What a good idea! I hadn't even thought along those lines. I'll give that a try and see what she thinks. Thanks! :grin:
-Power

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Pistol for the wife
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 03:43:46 PM »
Quote from: Power
Quote from: dakotashooter2

What a good idea! I hadn't even thought along those lines. I'll give that a try and see what she thinks. Thanks! :grin:

That is a good idea, but if she can not work up to the full power .40 loads, by the .357 SIG or the 9*19mm loads.  A downloaded .40 is a very inefficient load.  You would be better off with a full power 9mm or .357 SIG than a downloaded .40S&W.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23