Author Topic: Binoculars for still hunting  (Read 1235 times)

Offline throttleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Binoculars for still hunting
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:19:51 AM »
Could anyone make a suggestion on a good pair of binoculars for still hunting(range from 40 yards to 200 yards).  Price range between $150-$250.  My biggest problem with binoculars is eye relief since I wear glasses.  I looked through a pair of 7x50 Steiner Marine binoculars and they were awesome.  Thoughts please.

Thanks, Jeff

Offline Dave in WV

Re: Binoculars for still hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:02:07 PM »
Bushnell Legend 8x32. The Optic Zone has them for $239. I bought my son the Legend 8x42 and they're great. The 8x32 is handier for still hunting but still bright enough. They will work with glasses too.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 04:31:28 PM »
Last year we where in camp when a distant object caught my attention.  I picked a hunting partner’s binoculars for a look.  I was immediately impressed with the clarity of the glass.  If I was in the market Nikon would be high on my list.  I believe it was a 10x40?

When I was on the job I had a number of different binoculars over the years, but the most impressive was a pair of Leupold 10x40 binoculars.  I purchased myself a pair and they have beat around the woods with me for over twenty years.  They are a good glass, they have not fogged up, and I use them when wearing glasses.  I must admit that with any binocular I normally slide my glasses up and use the binoculars.  Because it offers a better field of view.  The eyepieces are individually focused and I have them focused for my eyes.

At one time I had a set of those “little” shirt pocket binoculars given to me at Christmas.  I had a very difficult time using them with glasses, and found them unacceptable for periods of prolong viewing.  I gave them away.

I keep a pair of old 8x32 Bushnell binoculars in my pickup 24/7.  They have been dependable, and I use them as a loaner for hunting partners who forgot theirs.

I think you can find a good pair of binoculars from Bushnell, Leupold, or Nikon that will fit your needs.  Do not select the lowest price model, Dave’s suggestion of a Bushnell Legend is excellent, and the same rule applies to Nikon and Leupold.  You can pick a model in the $200-250 range that will fit your needs.  Be sure and pick a pair that is fog proof.  In my early hunting days I was continually frustrated by a pair of binoculars that would fog up immediately when they came in contact with my face.  When I left home, they stayed behind for my younger brothers.

I have a pair of Burris binoculars that came with a scope.  They appear okay but I have not used them in the field.

Years back I would bulk order a number of 10x50 binoculars and spotting scopes from Bushnell.  They always supported their products, and where pleasant to deal with.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:58:19 AM »
I'd have a look at the Nikon Monarch 8 X 42.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline throttleman

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:16:28 PM »
Thanks for your input fellas.  I appreciate real world experience.  There are so many to choose from that I'm certain to find a good set.  I looked through a set of Steiner 7x50 Marine binoculars the other day.  They were incredible.  A bit large though.   Will keep looking.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 05:25:10 PM »
Steiner makes or at least used to make a 6x30 that is an ideal size and power range for hunting in close woods settings. I used mine for many years and now my wife claims them as hers. They served me well for woods hunting for many years. The only thing I think might keep them from being ideal is that they are individual focus. Now that really is why I bought them in the first place as I do happen to like individual focus binoculars.

But to get the most from your binoculars in thick woods settings you really do need a focus wheel that adjusts both at the same time. By doing this you can change your depth of focus to in effect make limbs and brush disappear to reveal deer hidden behind them. No you can't really make them disappear but you can give the illusion of it by making them blur out of focus and bring into focus what is behind them.

Still the Steiner 6x30 worked well for me many years and I'd not feel bad about using them again for that type hunting. Currently I use a Bushnell legend 8x42 that is as good as I've seen. I've owned and sold off a Leica 8x42 and a Bushnell Elite 10x43 just to keep and use these as I find them that good. I actually prefer them to the far more expensive optics. If I ever find a better binocular for me I'll change but until then I use and highly recommend the Bushell Legend binocular. The only thing I'd really change about it for woods use is to lower the magnification to 6x or 7x rather than 8x but even at 8x they do just great for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:13:44 PM »
I have those same Steiner 6x30s, they worked great for still hunting as that's all I do, but I got into bird watching years ago and they won't close focus, otherwise I'd still be using them. Still have em, use em in the boat, the lower power isn't so bad when sloshing around on the water trying to look at the lure hanging out of the fish's mouth that the lucky guy in the boat over yonder just caught!! Got a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 8x40 and have been very happy with them, the newer 8x42 can be had for a little over $250. ;)

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=109
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ScoutMan

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 04:51:21 AM »
I too have the Bushnell Legends 8x42. Excellent glass. Just for fun and giggles I bought a pair of Leopold yosemiites 6x30 (Eagle Optics has them for $90) Believe me, they're the "sleeper" in bins. Excellent optics, just behind my Legends.

For the price, pick up a pair. After using them awhile, you'll know what you want in optics. They then can be moved into backup bins. That' what I did.

SM
If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper

Offline Clam

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 10:15:02 AM »
Greybeard, Scoutman et al:
Are the Bushnell 8x42 Legends to which you refer the porro or roof prism models?
I too will be buying new binoculars and have the Legend porros on my short list.
And the Pentax PCF WP II as well. 

Offline ScoutMan

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »
Roofs.
But I hear good things on the porro's too.
If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 11:50:45 AM »
Yes my Legend binocular is a roof prism model. I have no experience with their porro prism models.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tlk203

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 07:06:09 AM »
The Leupold windriver I have has been excellent for me. It is roofprism as well.