Author Topic: We Need More Teachers Like This!  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Bill T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
We Need More Teachers Like This!
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:22:14 PM »
WE NEED MORE TEACHERS LIKE THIS:

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did something not to be forgotten.

On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.

Looking around, confused, they asked, "Ms. Cothren, where're our desks?"

She replied, "You can't have a desk until you tell me what you have done to earn the right to sit at a desk."

They thought, "Well, maybe it's our grades."

"No," she said.

"Maybe it's our behavior."

She told them, "No, it's not even your behavior."

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms. Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came, and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha Cothren said, "Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what they have done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you."

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk.

The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, "You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it."

This a true story!

VERIFY IT YOURSELF. HERE ARE THE WEB SITES:
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp
http://truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/school-desks.htm

Offline beemanbeme

Re: We Need More Teachers Like This!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 05:25:24 AM »
Great story.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 01:29:30 AM »
bs

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 01:52:15 AM »
If true this is a great story.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »
bs

bs???? I thought it was a good read and someone needs to teach the next generation about the importance of our military and war and how it enables us to all keep living as free people.
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 03:20:50 AM »
How is it "BS"?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 04:18:22 AM »

« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:20:50 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How is it "BS"? Harding working tax payer give the child the right to sit in the desk. The army runs off are taxes no taxes no army.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 04:23:38 AM »
If it wasn't for them you would have no rights or be free.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 04:37:24 AM »
If it wasn't for then you would have no rights or be free. If you are rich then you are free. But if you are poor in this world you are slave. 

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 04:49:22 AM »
Many of the wealthy I know are slaves to their jobs or their investments, that's how they became wealthy. It's why I am not wealthy.

Are you going to play "I got an owie and you have to guess why it hurts" or are you going to say what you have to say?

Too bad this type of forum does not have a kill file.

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 05:04:43 AM »
If it wasn't for then you would have no rights or be free. If you are rich then you are free. But if you are poor in this world you are slave.

This has to do with the lesson the teacher was trying to teach How???

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 05:07:45 AM »
Wealthy aren't free. Hollywood shows us that everyday.

Rick

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 05:23:18 AM »
You have a choice to be wealthy or not.  You could do well in school, work your way through college, get a good job or trade, save for retirement.  If one works at a minimum wage job all their life, but saves 10% of their income in a simple savings account with compound interest, not talking about the stock market, you could be a millionare by retirement.  Calculate it, figure it up yourself.  You have a choice, but you have to take advantage of the opportunities.  It takes dicipline, a diciplined lifestyle.  We have that choice, we are free because of those who fought and kept us that way.  We could be living under Nazism or Communism. 

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 06:18:11 AM »
How is it "BS"? Harding working tax payer give the child the right to sit in the desk. The army runs off are taxes no taxes no army.

She wasn't denying them a seat (only temporarily to grab their attention and to make them THINK), it was a lesson to be learned. Don't you understand that? In my opinion this is one smart woman, what a brilliant way to get their attention and teach them a valuable lesson
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 07:07:19 AM »
I think that at some point we should stop saying thank you to vets and really start to support them. I am in favor of the draft and in times of peace think everyone should either be active duty or reserve. You should never stand behind our troops, you should stand with them. Freedom has become nothing more than one more unappreciated welfare benefit in this country bought and paid for by those who served. And that does not include many poloticians!

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them", is a neat catchy phrase for those that hide behind our troops. Our troops should be here in this country protecting our borders. Not in some ungrateful foregin country protecting their's! Our troops should be allowed to fight, not follow some polotically correct rules of engagement that to often gets them killed. If you want to fight with this country, you should be prepared to die in hell, for thats what should happen. And if you choose to fight with us, don't do it with the understanding that when it's done we are going to rebuild your country at our expense, we shouldn't. We may even decide to keep your country for ourselves, after all, we won! Don't think for even one sec that you can hide behind your old, your women and your children, you should not be able to. We avoid shooting them openly so that they can come back and kill us in the shadows! War is hell and should you choose war with us, you choose hell.

Now how many of you that are ralling behind our troops have stood with them? Get off your ass and do something positive for yourself.

Don Fischer SSgt USAF 1965-1973

Adair AFS
Hdq 26th Air division
Corvallis, Ore

Detachment 8, 601st Tac Con Sq, 601st ABW
APO NY 09130

716th Radar Sq
Kalispell AFS
Lakeside, Mont
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 07:25:24 AM »
Me thinks ms is one of those people that sits on their butt and says the country owes them
food, shelter, and hapiness.
this country OWES you nothing, you need to learn to have some pride in your country
and mostly yourself.
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

i don't know about the draft, too many people around that i don't think i want to trust.
i do believe that we should serve our country and it's fighting men.
GOD, GUNS, AND GUTS, MADE AND KEEP AMERICA FREE.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 01:40:18 PM »
I think that at some point we should stop saying thank you to vets and really start to support them. I am in favor of the draft and in times of peace think everyone should either be active duty or reserve. You should never stand behind our troops, you should stand with them. Freedom has become nothing more than one more unappreciated welfare benefit in this country bought and paid for by those who served. And that does not include many poloticians!

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them", is a neat catchy phrase for those that hide behind our troops. Our troops should be here in this country protecting our borders. Not in some ungrateful foregin country protecting their's! Our troops should be allowed to fight, not follow some polotically correct rules of engagement that to often gets them killed. If you want to fight with this country, you should be prepared to die in hell, for thats what should happen. And if you choose to fight with us, don't do it with the understanding that when it's done we are going to rebuild your country at our expense, we shouldn't. We may even decide to keep your country for ourselves, after all, we won! Don't think for even one sec that you can hide behind your old, your women and your children, you should not be able to. We avoid shooting them openly so that they can come back and kill us in the shadows! War is hell and should you choose war with us, you choose hell.

Now how many of you that are ralling behind our troops have stood with them? Get off your ass and do something positive for yourself.

Don Fischer SSgt USAF 1965-1973

Adair AFS
Hdq 26th Air division
Corvallis, Ore

Detachment 8, 601st Tac Con Sq, 601st ABW
APO NY 09130

716th Radar Sq
Kalispell AFS
Lakeside, Mont

Should have joined and I didn't and regret it. Always have and always will. My son on the other hand he is going to join the air force. He is already in the JR ROTC and He plans to join and he will if I am still alive god willing.

Rick

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 02:08:47 PM »
  I served in the army during the first gulf war, my son joined the Minnesota National Guard almost 2 years ago. Is that BS? I am far from a rich man and am even farther away from not being free. WHat this teacher did ws gave credit to the people that have given there bodies, souls and lives for your freedom. Even though some people are to dumb realize it they owe there freedom to soldiers. Go live in a few other countries and see how good you have it here. Go to Saudi Arabia and get caught with a bible. See how they show you what they think of freedom. Go to Korea and see a young woman working in a brothel to pay her fathers dept. Go to China and protest the Government there, see how your freedom gets you a bullet in the back of your head. Just because your sad little world doesn't live up to all you dream it could be don't knock the freedom we have here and don't knock those who have given you this freedom.

Yes we have the right to say these things in America it's called FREEDOM, don't waste it!
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »
I support the military any way possible. I was the only one in my family in the males that didn't join. I deeply regret that.

Rick

Offline OR-E-GUN Hunter

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 05:55:02 PM »
Mr. Fischer,

My hat is off to you, sir.  I could not have said it better myself.  I, like you, served this country and find myself rather peeved at the politicians for their arrogance.  In my perfect world, a great many privileges, including public office, would be awarded to those who actually found that they had the nads to put up, not just talk a good game.

From one vet to another, Thank You sir for your service!!!
When politics and negotiations fail, firepower and force prevail. :sniper: