Author Topic: "Ultimate Handi-Pac" progress report.....  (Read 925 times)

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
"Ultimate Handi-Pac" progress report.....
« on: December 01, 2007, 01:21:25 PM »
Hey Guys,
   I thought I would post a pic of what I have so far in my quest for the"Ultimate" Handi 1 gun system. What you see is my only sb-2 frame with Survivor stock and bi-pod wearing my 16½" .308 barrel, with 6X24X50 BSA Contender . Other barrels shown in order from top to bottom:

24" Ultimate .223 Bull

18½" Cylinder bore 12ga (cutdown Pardner bbl)

16½" "versa-pac" 22LR with 3X9X40 Tasco

All in all I am about halfway there, I need to decide on a sighting system for the shotgun barrel, and I am debating whether or not to cut the .223 bbl to 16½" or 18".
 and I want to add a pistol caliber of some sort either 45colt, 357, or 44 mag.
   I want a seperate forend for each barrel ,all survivors except I would like a synthetic sportster forend for the 22lr. I also just completed my first trigger job ever on a handi on this frame, and with info from the FAQ's, It was surprisingly easy( with the help of info posted here) and my frame now has a 2pound 10oz creep free crispy trigger! Thanks Tim and GB!

Whadya think?
DG

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: "Ultimate Handi-Pac" progress report.....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:33:15 PM »
looking good gunny, congratulations. I guess you were right, you do like short barrels!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:44:50 PM »
dude, thats a wicked cool tactical looking setup..
 its amazing what can be done with the handi's ..
 hellva good job

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 01:52:32 PM »
Wow all I can say is wow. I look at the 308 and say to myself that is extreme. I would really like to know how these short barrels shoot? I my self am considering a 20'' 308 and wondered if that is to short. Did you cut the barrels yourself? Did you have them re crowned? Please just tell us more. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 02:00:57 PM »
Excellent!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
I like'em!!
I also would like to hear the answers to DALESCARPENTRY's questions.

Thanks!
Slufoot

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »
Very good  I like  We need Range reports
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
All your missing is a 357 max.  Sweet looking set up. Let us know how they shoot.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 05:39:42 PM »
I would also like to know the answer to Dale's questions.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 09:05:32 AM »
Looking good DG. That little 12ga barrel looks good with the set 8) I warn ya it's a kicker.... but a ton of fun though. Looking forward to a range report and seeing the finished product with it and the others.
I bet the short 308 is quite the flame thrower too huh?

-Aaron

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
Wow all I can say is wow. I look at the 308 and say to myself that is extreme. I would really like to know how these short barrels shoot? I my self am considering a 20'' 308 and wondered if that is to short. Did you cut the barrels yourself? Did you have them re crowned? Please just tell us more. Dale

Thanks Guys!.... to answer the questions, I have always believed that the shorter barrels have an inherently accuracy potential due to the greater "stiffness" of the barrel, and all other things being equal, (crown, twist rate, loading, etc.) The shorter barrel is not only lighter, but also more consistent.
   The trade of, of course, is that generally you will see a decrease in muzzle velocity, I think of the 16½" .308 as a stoked up 30/30 or 300 Savage. T
   he rifle as pictured weighs 7 pounds 10 ounces.
  I got the .308 from another board member in trade, but I was activly looking for a 308  bull and intended to cut it to 18 or 20 inches. the muzzle was square and the cut looked ok, so I did the brass carriage bolt/grinding compound crowning job and intend to wring it out a bit like this before making a final decision on crowning. I have only fired it for function, but the muzzle flash is impressive to say the least. I originally thought I'd have a brake installed to help with recoil, but believe it or not, she's a big ol' pussy cat. Recoil is very manageable. I have ammo, and as soon as I get some range time I'll submit a report on accuracy etc.

I cut the 22 barrel myself by using a tubing cutter to make a groove around the barrel and then hacksaw it using the groove as a guide. It turned out pretty well and I did the carriage bolt crown job on it as well. I took it out on the back porch the other day and found that I was able to keep 5rds of CCI CB Long's in a nickle sized target dot at 60 feet +or-.

I will likely have them both 11degree target crowned eventually and I will likely cut the .223 down to 18". The 12ga is going to get an Accu-Choke adjustable choke as soon as I can find one,(like the old mossberg pumps) and either a scope base or a set of rifle or ghost ring sights.

This will make me a woods roaming gun for rabbits etc. that weighs 4pounds and has the potential to shoot #7 shot out of the Aguila mini shells for snakes and starlings all the way up to a 3" slug with a choke I can change without tools at anytime. I will have the barrel cut  so that the length including the choke is 18½"
.....more to come.....
DG

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 12:58:05 PM »
Sounds good
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick