Author Topic: Mossberg 835 accuracy issues  (Read 725 times)

Offline CLAY

• Trade Count: (0)
Mossberg 835 accuracy issues
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:57 AM »
  With the cantilevered barrel.  Anybody use one?  I gave up on mine and switched to a Rem 870 supermag with the superslug barrel.  It's a tackdriver.
    However, I'd like to pull the 835 cant barrel out of retirement if I can find something that it shoots decently.  The accuracy of the 835 can't even be compared to the accuracy of the 870, in my experience with my guns.
   I no newby either- over 100 kills, probably 5 with the 835 and 50-60 with the 870.

Offline toecutter

• Avid Poster
Re: Mossberg 835 accuracy issues
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the 835.  I have to say I'm not too impressed with the fit and finish on mine(esp the trigger) but I must say that it is like a sniper rifle with the 1oz. federal barnes expanders.  That gun is a workhorse! It shoots amazingly well with the slug barrel as well as throws a great pattern with the turkey barrel.  I cant say enough good things about the way it shoots (despite that terrible trigger).  Also, I never clean the barrel.  The groups stay nice and tight with proper fouling. Groups hover around 2-2.5 inches at 100yds with the 1.5 power scope that makes the target seem farther away (the crosshair covers the bullseye!).  I'm shopping for a suitable piece of glass for it as we speak, then I'm sure it will really shine. 

Sorry to gush, but I love a deal, and for the price, that ugly, heavy piece of steel is nothing if not that.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:36:26 PM »
I never did get mine to shoot slugs and I probly spent hundreds of dollars trying best I could get it to do was with the cheap sluggers and could put 3 in a paper plate at 60yrds I think the biggest problem was with the bullet jump in chamber at the time no one was making 3 1/2" slugs but if I still had it I would try the commander IDS 3.5 they have out now they may work well. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline CLAY

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 05:47:15 AM »
IIRC, the slug barrel is for 3" or less slugs.  I don't think it's a 3 1/2 slug barrel.

The best I found was the Federals as well, but is has never shot well.  Maybe I'll pull her out and try again for the late doe season.

For turkeys?  I agree toecutter- it's the best thing ever.  The pattern is tight enough that I put a red-dot scope on it.  It's incredible- way better than the 870 Supermag 3 1/2".  I think it's the 10 gauge barrel diameter- that's the biggest difference.  It's works like a charm on long-range geese as well.  Don't get me wrong- I love the gun and would never give it up- it's just not very good with the slug loads, in my experience. With the shot loads it's the best in class, as far as I'm concerned!

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:23:57 PM »
 :) Howdy! I bought a Mossberg 835 in the early 1990s.  And about 1998 or so, I got the slug barrel with regular sights. I bought some high dollar slugs thinking that it would be a great combination. I never could get it to hit the target anywhere other than the lower right hand corner.  With all of the correction available with the open sights, it was no better. The gunshop changed out the sights; however, this did not help any. I have not done anything with it since then. However, I am thinking about getting a shotgun scope and adapter for the slug barrel.  I will have to get several different boxes of slugs to try as well.  There could be another problem in that the barrel itself may be defective. I really don't know.  Or, I could just trade it all in on something else.  The regular shotgun part of the 835 is ok, just a stiff trigger, but shoots good for quail and pheasant. If I trade it in, I would want to get something that would be specifically a slug gun.  Any thoughts or views on this would be appreciated!

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member