Author Topic: career advice  (Read 370 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
career advice
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:58:18 AM »
I am 27 and just started a job in august. I am a retail manager in a mall. I run the whole store, doing everything a general manager does...the HR, the ordering, inventory, customer service, payroll, paperwork, etc.

My boss is a 110-pound Napoleon. He is rude to everyone, constantly trying to catch someone doing something wrong, often accusing them and finding that nothing had occurred. He is also gay, which causes a bit of a twist on the story, and since his behavior is so irritating and causes so much turnover, he is hated by a lot of us. Some, however, like him. I cannot imagine why.

I could care less about his sexual preference, other than it annoys me when he spends WAY too much time with "cute" male employees and neglects the hairier and fatter ones lol... guess which group I belong to! lol

i took this job in order to learn retail and get out of the restaurant business where i had succeeded but grew tired of the 15 hour days and no time off and smelling like food. I wanted to find something fun that I could make a career of without spending so much time away from my wife and home and family.

the problem is, when i finally admitted that this is a no-win situation for me, i went on an interview today. One question of course was, "why are you looking to leave your job after only 4 months?" I answered truthfully that there is no option for me to be promoted for many years and that i wanted to keep options open. when pressed further, i explained that the district manager i worked for has a lot of turnover and firings and his idea of motivation is yelling and firing, not setting goals and teaching, as needed. i think that answer is probably not a good one to be telling prospective employers but i thought i would pose the question to you guys and see what you have done in maybe the same situation, that worked?

i have worked in 2 different restaurants where i was constantly promoted and given raises, and made quite a bit of money...i worked in one for 5 years and the next for 1.5 years before those 15 hour days got to me. now i have a job for 4 months on my resume...

suggestions?

Thanks,
-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: career advice
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:16:11 AM »
I can't help ya with the queer boss, I never had, or will, ever have that problem. The answers you gave are all in whom your talking to. The truth hurts sometimes but, it beats a lie.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline flintlock

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:18:17 AM »
I have owned my own business for 18 years...I'm a recruiter, a "headhunter" if you will...I specialize in medical sales reps...
I tell all my candidates that when asked "Why are you looking?" To tell the interviewer "I'm not, but I was called (or heard) of
this opportunity and it sounded interesting, so I thought I would look into it." Now, you might add that you have heard good
things about the company or their products...But after that, be quiet...

Do not go into the current situation with your company, boss, inferior products, customer service, whatever....First, they don't
want to hear it, second, they have problems as well, you just don't know it yet...They will think if you complain about where you
are at, you will complain about where you are going...

Good luck, I hope this helps...

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 06:46:24 PM »
perfect, that's what i need to be saying. thanks for the input, i will use it!

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:04:19 AM »
Flintock nailed it!!!!. Good job.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 06:11:17 AM »
Along the lines that flintlock said, I have always said I am looking to better myself but am in no hurry to leave my current position

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 07:35:47 AM »
Flintlock is right on.  As a manager I don't want to hear the negativity because it tells me you get caught up in that and therefore have the potential to bring my team down.  People that project positive energy or vibes are received and remembered more favorably. 

Good luck on your search!