Author Topic: Which all States Have a person do or dont  (Read 1594 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Which all States Have a person do or dont
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:55 AM »
Out of all u deer hunters which states require u to check your deer in after u have shot it?? i know Oklahoma does they make u check it in the weight and how many points and what county it came from in the state, i see a lott of pictures on here and u ask them how much the deer Field dressed and they dont have a clue, if i posted a pic of my deer on here and some 1 asked me how much it weight i could tell them what it weighed
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Which all States Have a person do or dont
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:05:13 AM »
Bama has no required check on a state wide basis. But the WMAs require you to do a check in and weight in during the few two day either sex hunts and the one day youth only hunts. On any other WMA check in is not required but you are required to fill out a form at the check stations to legally remove the deer from the WMA. Not a real easy thing to enforce and as far as I know no attempt to do so is made.

This will be our first season in my memory to require a limit on bucks or a point count. We now can kill only three bucks per season down from a buck a day as far back as I can remember and the third buck MUST have four points on one side minimum. We are required to annonate on our license each buck killed before moving it this year as well.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
No such requirment here in Pa. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »
Missouri requires you to check deer or turkey kills either over the phone or on your computer.  They want the hunter's Conservation ID number, county the animal was killed in and whether it was a buck, doe, or fawn.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:26:06 PM »
Here in okla no place can hang your deer to be buchered with out a carcase tag and if a worden drivers by your house and see u sking and deboneing the meat look out your in for trouble i know there is i am sure people here in okla that dont check theres in and just keep shooting deer tell they get caught or its big enough to check in, here in Okla write after u shoot your deer your suppose to fill in the back of your license the time of day he was shot what sex and date and then check him in after u have feild dressed cant weigh in a undressed deer
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 01:14:47 PM »
Only on WMAs in Florida. We do usually weigh ours though. ;D
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »
In WI, All deer and turkeys must be physically registered.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 02:16:34 PM »
West Virginia requires you to check all deer,turky,boar, or bear.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline smokepolehall

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »
Tn. we have to check ours in here with all info but they don't weigh them. I have my own scale so when i hang then fer skinning i weigh them.
Keep yer nose into the wind & slip from tree to tree in the shadows, you have come fer pilgrim! Miss Vixen & Miss Phoenix, I am The Vixenmaster!

Offline masteryoda

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »
South Dakota would like you to send in 2 teeth along withe a sticker that is attached to your license. It is not required but the GFP hounds you for it if you don't.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 06:42:40 AM »
In Texas you have to tag the deer, but aren't required to check it in if hunting on private land. I don't know about WMA's. Since I hunt on land that is part of the state MLD program we have to keep a log that includes dressed weight and antler measurements on bucks.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 07:09:02 AM »
Virginia does , but now you can do it over the phone !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 04:06:10 AM »
Kentucky requires to mark your hunting license and then call it in. 

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 07:59:30 AM »
Massachusetts does, you have 48 hours to get your dressed deer to a check station from the time you make your kill.
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 12:00:20 PM »
Here in New York we are required to phone-in the information about the deer we take!

I don't know if it's still so or not, but in the Southern Tier, people who took a deer used to have to take their deer in to a "check station" where the game biologists would take the info from the deer as well as info provided by the taker!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 05:46:43 AM »
In Indiana, the kill tag is good to get you to a DNR approved check in station for a transportation seal.  In Michigan, where I live no check in is required; therefore, the DNR estimates of deer killed, etc., are all done using the SWAG method.  I'm not sure our DNR knows anything about kill numbers!

Arch

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 04:47:53 PM »
Louisiana is the same as Bama, but most of the time there is no one on the wma's to check you out.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 05:43:42 AM »
Not required here in ND.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 09:36:39 PM »
I must have missed something in the Oklahoma regs but have yet to be required to dress a deer before checking it in.  I will have to look in to that.  We have a doe only season next week end and will check it out before then.  Looking foward to trying out my 44 mag marlin 1894 on deer. I got it at a gun show a few weeks back.

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 04:33:35 PM »
here in miss we do not have a tagging or check-in system,

Offline TomD

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 05:25:56 AM »
Here in CT you must tag your deer immediately upon recovering it.  Then, during Archery season you must submit a 'Kill Report Card' within 24 hours. During Rifle & ML seasons you must get it to a check station as soon as is possible. At the check station a DEP Biologist will report the weight, age, sex, points and zone where killed. Then they take your tag and attach a metal tag to the deer's calf...then you may process your deer.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 07:57:18 AM »
Mattmill its not in the regs BUT i have never in my life herd of some on here in Okla takeing a deer in to have it checked in full of guts he will weight up to 50lb or more with them in him, and if u have hunted much u would know the first thing after a deer is shot is to get him feildressed ASAP, i wouldnt want my deer to have the guts in him half the day or all day, get them out so he can start to cool down inside and out,i i used to feildress my deer in the feild but not any more after shoot i walk back to my truck drive up to him load him up and come strait home hng him up and dress him here so i have running water when i get the guts out i can wash him out good and the cooling prosses can start take 30 mins max for me to do this,so no i have never heard of any one checking a deer in with the guts in them but i gess u can i just have never seen it when i am at the check in station and every bodys there checking there deer in u would have to estamate how much the guts weight to right down on the carcase tag.But i gess there is guys out there that do it so it sounds like they shot a monster when some 1 ask them how big a deer u shot Well i shot a 10 pointer he was 270lb deer but leave the part out that he was weighed with the guts in him.East of wear i live about 30 mile i heard  from the land owner i hunt on that some body shot a big 12 point that weighted 280lbthats huge if he was feildressed  make me wonder if it had the guts in him win he was weighted
1 shot 1 kill

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 12:29:42 PM »
They just started the call in check system two years ago here in Illinois. It really sucks, sure it's more convenient to just call instead of driving to a check in station but back then you could bs with other hunters and check out their deer. It was a pretty big part of the total experience and they took it away because Blajagovich gutted the dnr dept. At least they still issue pins.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?