Author Topic: QUES ON "NIGHT VISION" DEVICES (IMAGE INTENSIFIERS VS. IR)  (Read 280 times)

Offline ryback770

• Trade Count: (0)
QUES ON "NIGHT VISION" DEVICES (IMAGE INTENSIFIERS VS. IR)
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:05:41 AM »

An infrared scope would suit me fine. After all I'm not after "bad guys" with infrared goggles. Problem is all I ever see is the old "cold war" military stuff.
The "image intensifier" type scope are WOW ,VERY expensive!! $1800.!!!
Is Night Vision Goggles with a Red Dot the easiest/cheapest way to go?? (as seen in IRAQ ). I'll only be shooting at hogs 100 yds. or less.
Someones that's "been there done that" must know.
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins." - H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: QUES ON "NIGHT VISION" DEVICES (IMAGE INTENSIFIERS VS. IR)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:44:25 AM »
I have a first gen Russian rifle scope on a .30-30 for night hunting. A good friend of mine has a 3 rd. gen. on a .243. I have abt. $400 in mine and he has over $ 3000. On dark nights I have to use my IR and can see out to 100 yrds or a little past. He can still see that far when it`s almost to dark to walk. His also has much better glass and it is much easier to tell what your looking at. With nite vision you get what you pay for. Cheap is fun to play with, but if your wanting to hunt with it spend the dollars.