Author Topic: Touch Up  (Read 922 times)

Offline jonv

• Trade Count: (0)
Touch Up
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:48:46 AM »
My old BK92 has a couple of small rust marks that I have rubbed off with a scotch-brite pad, wrong move = to abrasive as it rubbed off more bluing than I wanted. Anyway I want to touch up my bluing on barrel.

Any pointers would be appreciated, Thanks

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Touch Up
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:08:49 AM »
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=645752&t=11082005 It gives you all the instructions with it. I have used it and it worked great and looks great. I also like the Cold Blue brand if you can find it.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
For future reference, fine grade steel wool with oil will remove rust and not harm the bluing.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 01:05:18 PM »
Use good oil. Don't use cheap stuff it doesn't work as well.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:11 PM »
I used 0000 steel wool, oil and lots of elbow grease to remove rust on my old NEF.

Offline jonv

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:31:10 AM »
I always seem to learn the hard way, I  have 0000 steel wool in my shop, I just had a piece of scotch-brite pad laying on my workbench and it seemed like the thing to do.

Thanks

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:03:51 AM »
I always seem to learn the hard way, I  have 0000 steel wool in my shop, I just had a piece of scotch-brite pad laying on my workbench and it seemed like the thing to do.

Thanks

Yeah. Don't do that.

Rick