Author Topic: carrying firearms in National Parks  (Read 589 times)

Offline thxmrgarand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
carrying firearms in National Parks
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:32:18 AM »
There is an effort by a group of US senators that is intended to allow carrying firearms in National Parks.  You can find the article on the front page of the Anchorage Daily News:  www.adn.com.  Here's an excerpt from the article.

WASHINGTON -- Both of Alaska's U.S. senators have signed a letter asking the Interior Department to repeal federal gun rules for national parks and wildlife refuges, saying that the existing guidelines are "confusing, burdensome and unnecessary."
If federal officials agree, the result could be people being able to legally carry loaded guns onto federal lands in Alaska where they're now banned, including much of Denali National Park.
The letter was drafted by U.S. Sen. Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, who asked Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne to change rules that prohibit visitors to most national parks and wildlife refuges from carrying operable, loaded guns.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: carrying firearms in National Parks
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
This request if it passes will be an asset to all firearms owners who travel with a CCW.  In Alaska, it is almost impossible to take a road trip with a CCW or firearm in the vehicle and not at some time be in or near a National Park.  A perfect example is Kenai Fjords National Park.  It is accessible only by boat or float plane, and I for one always carry a survival weapon in either.  If I have to anchor in a bay within the Park due bad seas when crossing the Gulf of Alaska, technically I'm in violation.  I haven't as yet had to hide from the weather but that is not to say that it won't happen.  What am I to do to be legal?  Throw the weapon overboard and lose my potential for survival if disaster befalls later in the trip?  We need to support these Senators.  For a fee, even Canada now permits handguns in possession while traveling across it, surely our own government can do the same.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.