Author Topic: Preaching to the Choir (Pic's added)  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Bruce A. Hering

• Trade Count: (0)
Preaching to the Choir (Pic's added)
« on: November 26, 2007, 09:59:54 AM »
I have been absent from this site for a good bit but have found my way back.

I recently had a failure of mind and purchased a 20 ga USH on the comments of a respected friend.  Man what a slug gun.  Walked out of the shop with it and went to friends range.  Gun was bore sighted at shop so some work was avoided.  Shooting Winchester Premium 2.75 copper/lead shells, after doing the "bench gun" cleaning job, and four shots to put it where I wanted, I shot a ragged one hole group at 50 yds.  Moved to 100 yds. and the group opened up to about an inch (actual measurement was .975).  This was all off a bag of course but man what a gun.

You should know that I have never shot a slug gun here in IL deer hunting because of accuracy problems and due to the fact that I have built a number of custom ML's (real ones that shoot black powder, not that other stuff) that would easily out shoot slug guns......  Well, thats over... no more cleaning for me...  This thing is amazing.  I must admit its ugly as a mud fence but I have begun work to fix that.  I did a partial trigger job and reduced the pull by almost 50%. (We are in the 3+ lb range) Removed about 30% of the stock wood during a re-shape (not done yet) and will refinish with a paint job as wood is not worth the stain process... but who cares.  I will add a different scope (likely cost more than the gun) after this weekend (our second and last slug weekend)

This kind of accuracy for $200.00.....  What can I say!
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Instructor
Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
Southeastern Illinois College
Collegiate Shotgun Coach
2009 ACUI 3rd Place National Champions
NSCA Level III Instructor

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Preaching to the Chior
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:02:45 PM »
"This kind of accuracy for $200.00.....  What can I say!"  -------------PRICELESS!!!-----------....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
I used mine for the first season here also my friends just can't believe I get that kind of accuracy from a cheap single shot but my tags are filled and I have to use my ML for the 2nd season love it!!!! I have found the Buckhammers do the same thing in mine for a lot less. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Bruce A. Hering

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:06:31 AM »
Well, I have taken (am taking) this gun to the next level.  Gun season had its last KA-BOOM here in IL this past weekend so now I am free to "put the finishing touches" on the gun.

First thing I added was a mono-pod from Gander.  Looks like a Harris product but did not have their name on it, $26.99.  I am getting older and its more difficult to hold a gun that can shoot this good steady any more.

As I stated in my first post, I removed a bunch of wood from the stock, well, I need to remove more and sweeten up the "look" of the gun.  That will start this week or next as time allows.  Right now the wood is painted a flat black just to have a sealer over the work I already did.

Metal parts, barrel, action and scope stuff will come apart and all go in for an old time green parkerized finish.  I was thinking seriously about one of the ceramic finishes and may still do that.  The trigger assembly is going to get a total polish and further reduction in pull weight.  I will  also reshape the trigger and make a steel trigger guard which will also be re-profiled.

Last but not least there will be a much better scope and rings put on.  As of now, I am leaning towards a 3x9x50 Leupold or Nikon with Millet rings.  Might even play with a custom Leupold type base. (the one where you "twist in" the front ring)  I think I can get one made.

I will try and post some pics as this "Beast" progresses.

I know, I know.......  I am making a "silk purse out of a sows ear" but this thing can shoot.

Wish me luck.

Bruce A. Hering
Collegiate Shotgun Coach

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »
Sounds exciting.   Be sure to keep up up to date and post some pic's.      ;D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 10:26:34 AM »
Bruce you are an inspiration to us all, EVOC ONE is correct (as usual!!), keep us updated and pictures would be great....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Bruce A. Hering

Re: Preaching to the Chior, (Pic's added)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 06:51:20 AM »
OK guys, here is the beast as it looks now

The stock mod's and monopod in place.

Here is a close look of the stock showing the amount of wood I removed with more to be taken off

Sooooo.....  The comb will need to come up, I'll do that with bondo and hold it with pins drilled into the stock.  I am thinking parallel comb based on scope placement.  The fore end will need bondo as well to create an extension and thus more of a "flat spot" for the monopod to afix to. The rest will be wood/bondo work.

As I mentioned earlier, this is now officially a "work in progress".  I will post pics as a "build along" since all this can be done by anyone with a sander, some files and a bit of gumpton 

What do ya think?
Bruce A. Hering
Collegiate Shotgun Coach

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Preaching to the Chior (Pic's added)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 05:02:58 PM »
Thats a nice slugger you have there. I really like what you have done with the stocks too. Looks to have a nice grip and comfortable comb.  What scope do you have mounted in those pics? I couldn't
t make it out.
Thanks for sharing.

-Aaron

Offline Bruce A. Hering

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 06:15:29 AM »
Aaron:

Its a cheap Bushnell 1.5-4.5.  It will get a Nikon 3x9x40 with Millet rings as the project progresses.  The gun shoots to good not to.
Bruce A. Hering
Collegiate Shotgun Coach

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 07:51:44 AM »
Those Ultra Slugger really are amazing guns...The only gun that can keep up is a Tar-Hunt and that slugger will run you 5x what an Ultra Slugger costs...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Preaching to the Choir (Pic's added)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 03:41:32 PM »
Just walked in the door and found this post. Is the scope in the picture the scope that came with the gun. I have one being shipped to me as I type and for the price difference ($22) I took the scoped one. I plan on shooting 75 yards or less and using the reduced recoil loads that are about the same velocity as my 45-70 lever action. I'm not a speed freak just want it to hit the same place every shot.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline Bruce A. Hering

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 05:06:01 AM »
DeernHog:

No, I had that scope laying around and it seemed the thing to do.  After shooting the gun in, I realized this thing needs a scope that will let me shoot a bit better.  It is an OK scope and for your needs may be perfect.

WNY:  I grew up in NE Jersey, Bergen Co.  Back then (late 50's and 60's) all we could shoot for deer was buckshot.  I wish some of those old guys my Dad hunted with could see these things.
Bruce A. Hering
Collegiate Shotgun Coach

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 10:04:11 AM »
Well my new USH just got picked up at the local WAL MART complete with a 3-9 X 32 Marlin scope on top. It weighs a ton my friends and is solid as a rock. I handled a Rossi of similiar design and they don't even compare in quality of fit ,finish, and feel. The price difference was only $40 compared to Open sight Rossi.  A trip to the smithy for the trigger and this gun will be ready to rock. If I plan on hiking several miles this gun will not be my weapon of choice but for the 1/2 mile jaunt to my tree stand on the public hunting area it won't be bad at all and should take the mule kick out of the slugs. Will have to take it out for a doe hunt the next two weekends before the end of the year, then stand over a green field for a hog after that.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.